Near Girard in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bethel United Methodist Church
“Brick Church”, with a parsonage near, headed the Bethel Circuit (1858-1897). Since 1897 Bethel has been on the Girard Circuit and is Screven County`s oldest continuing Methodist Church.
Erected 1977 by South Georgia Conference Commission on Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
Location. 32° 57.916′ N, 81° 32.541′ W. Marker is near Girard, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is at the intersection of Oglethorpe Trail and an unnamed plantation road, on the left when traveling north on Oglethorpe Trail. Touch for map. Marker is at the church, approximately two miles northwest of US 301. Marker is in this post office area: Girard GA 30426, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Brick (Bethel) Church (here, next to this marker); Burton's Ferry (approx. 2.6 miles away); Paris' Mill (approx. 6.6 miles away); British Army Crossing (approx. 6.6 miles away); Concord Baptist Church (approx. 7.2 miles away in South Carolina); Antioch Christian Church (approx. 7.4 miles away in South Carolina); Speedwell Methodist Church (approx. 8.2 miles away in South Carolina); Jacksonboro (approx. 10.6 miles away).
1. church name
The correct name of the church is Brick Church or Bethel Brick Church. It is called by either name within the community. The Church has never been closed. It is the oldest continuous Methodist Church in Screven County and is located at 1259 Oglethorpe Trail, 2 miles off US Hwy 301N, 1 mile south of the Savannah River.
The Church is located on land given by Rev Peyton Wade in 1827. The Wade Plantation along with adjoining Millhaven Plantation comprise the largest plantation tract operating as a single unit east of the Mississippi River.
I (Rev Kitty Newton) have served Brick Church as pastor for the past three years.
— Submitted July 10, 2012, by Rev Kitty Newton of Sylvania, Georgia.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,099 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on July 10, 2012, by Rev Kitty Newton of Sylvania, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Pictures of the church. • Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?