Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Puebla in Municipality of Puebla, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

The House of Alms

 
 
The House of Alms Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 1, 2017
1. The House of Alms Marker
Inscription.

Casa del Mendrugo
El nombre tan particular de esta casa esta ligado a sus origenes. La tradición dice que fue construida por los jesuitas con los “mendrugos” que recogieron, forma poética de referirse a las limosnas, ya que la palabra mendrugo significa “algo que sobra o se desecha”.

La casa era administrada por el Colegio Jesuita del Espíritu Santo y cuando éste se convirtió en Colegio del Estado, la casa también pasó a ser parte de las propiedades de esta institución educativa. En 1825 funcionó como Tesorería de la Federación.

Este inmueble, en el total abandono, fue rescatado en 2010. En su proceso de restauración, se descubrieron piezas de gran valor arqueológico, como los restos de una tumba con más de 3,500 años de antigüedad, que hacen de los mismos, la evidencia más antigua de presencia humana en las riberas del rio San Francisco. Por ello, se determinó que dichas piezas fueran exhibidas en el museo que se localiza en su segunda planta, para mostrar los estudios sobre la tumba hallada, así como sobre los objetos cotidianos de la época virreinal.

El historiador alemán, Hugo Leicht, en su famoso libro “Las Calles de Puebla”, registró la información, dada por Bernardino Tamariz. Por tradición se decía que en esta casa se había hospedado Agustín
The House of Alms Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 1, 2017
2. The House of Alms Marker
The marker is to the right of the entrance to the Casa del Mendrugo. To the left of the entrance is the marker entitled "Emperor Iturbide at the Casa del Mendrugo".
de lturbide en su paso hacía Córdoba, Veracruz, para firmar los tratados de la Independencia de México.


English:
The House of Alms
The odd name of this building is bound to its origins. The tradition says that it was built by Jesuits with the “mendrugos” they collected, a poetic form to refer to alms, considering that “mendrugo” means something left over or something you dispose of.

The house was run by the Espíritu Santo Jesuit School and when it became the State College, the house came to be part of the property of this educational institute. In 1825, it operated as the Federal Treasury building. This building was rescued from total abandonment in 2010. During its restoration process, pieces with great archaeological value were discovered. Such as the remains of a grave with over 3,500 years old which is the oldest evidence of human inhabitation in the San Francisco riverside. For this reason, it was determined that those pieces had to be exhibited in the museum on the second floor, to show the studies about the grave as well as daily objects from the viceregal age.

The German historian, Hugo Leicht, in his famous book "Las Calles de Puebla" (Puebla Streets) registered the information given by Bernanrdino (sic, Bernardino) Tamariz. In which as a tradition it was said that in this house Agustín de Iturbide had previously stayed in his way to Córdoba, Veracruz, in order to sign the treaties of the Mexican Independence.
 
Erected by Gobierno Municipal de Puebla.
 
Location. 19° 2.511′ N, 98° 11.772′ W. Marker is in Puebla, Puebla, in Municipality of Puebla. Marker is on Calle 4 Sur just north of Avenida 5 Oriente, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Calle 4 Sur 304, Puebla 72000, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Emperor Iturbide at the Casa del Mendrugo (here, next to this marker); Jesuit Education in Puebla (within shouting distance of this marker); First Speech by Francisco Madero in Puebla (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Memorial to Those Killed in University Protest of 1973 (about 90 meters away); The Oath to Independence in the City of Puebla... (about 120 meters away); Plaza de la Democracia (about 120 meters away); Granting the Coat of Arms to the City of Angels (1538) (about 240 meters away); The Oriental Bank Building (about 240 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Puebla.
 
Categories. AnthropologyArchitectureChurches & ReligionWars, Non-US
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 20, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement