Near Devils Tower in Crook County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
What Are Those Big Concrete Pyramids Down by the River?
Ever wonder what those big concrete pyramids down by the river are? Why are they there? How long have they been there?
Before the Keyhole Dam was built in 1952, the old bridge (built in 1928) across the Belle Fourche River was frequently in danger of flooding during times of high water. Every spring the river would flood, often changing course dramatically.
In 1929-1930 a new channel was cut for the river and 39 massive concrete pyramids (tetrahedrons) were put in place to control the flooding river. In 1933, 33 more tetrahedrons were added. They have been there every single day. The new bridge and dam make them unnecessary - just a curiosity from an earlier time.
During floods, the tetrahedrons helped prevent erosion and the river from changing its path, by supporting the banks.
Location. 44° 35.357′ N, 104° 42.278′ W. Marker is near Devils Tower, Wyoming, in Crook County. Marker is on State Highway 110. Touch for map. Marker is located within the Devils Tower Monument just past the gate on the right. Marker is in this post office area: Devils Tower WY 82714, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Life Above and Below Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); People of the Land Buried Tower (approx. 0.6 miles away); How Did the Tower Form? (approx. 0.7 miles away); Devils Tower ... the first National Monument (approx. ¾ mile away); Friends, Family, and Fun (approx. ¾ mile away); Devils Tower (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also named Devils Tower (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Devils Tower.
Also see . . . Devils Tower National Monument. (Submitted on January 21, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 83 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.