Ludlow in Harding County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Picnic Springs Campground
The surrounding hills became part of the Custer National Forest July 2, 1908. The cliffs you see on three sides are the Tongue River Member of the Fort Union Geological Formation. The formation, about 56 million years old, is massive sandstone and contains large deposits of lignite coal formed from age - old tropical vegetation.
Erected by Custer National Forest.
Location. 45° 52.36′ N, 103° 29.049′ W. Marker is in Ludlow, South Dakota, in Harding County. Marker is on Foust Road (State Highway 799). Touch for map. Picnic Springs Campground is located in the Northern Cave Hills. From Ludlow, SD go North 2 miles on US 85. West 4 miles on Tufte Rd. to SD 799. One mile north on SD 799 and follow signs 1 1/2 miles westerly to Picnic Springs Campground. Marker is in this post office area: Ludlow SD 57755, United States of America.
Also see . . . Custer National Forest. (Submitted on January 23, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 23, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 80 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 23, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.