Morristown in Corson County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Bismarck - Deadwood Stage Trail
At this point the Bismarck-Deadwood Stage Trail passed in a line extending about 240 miles from northeast to southwest. In 1877, the Dakota Territorial Legislature commissioned the survey of the trail, which transported passengers and freight between Bismarck, the western terminus of the Northern Pacific Railroad, and Deadwood. Rich mineral deposits in the Black Hills had been confirmed by an 1874 expedition led by General George Custer.
The first four - horse Concord stagecoaches, owned by the Northwestern Express, Stage and Transportation Company, started over the trail from Bismarck in April 1877 with daily service in operation by May. A typical run took 36 hours and a one-way ticket cost $23. As many as 26 stagecoaches and more that 200 teams comprised the rolling stock. The Company also utilized many mule and oxen wagons to haul freight. Twenty relay stations and two overnight stations serviced the line.
A shorter trail to the Black Hills was later opened from Pierre, and by late 1880 the Bismarck route was abandoned by official traffic. The trail subsequently served area ranchers and settlers until a modern road system was developed.
Erected by The Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission.
Location. 45° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morristown SD 57645, United States of America.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 80 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 24, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.