Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Mobridge in Corson County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Arikara People

 
 
The Arikara People Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, August 15, 2017
1. The Arikara People Marker
Inscription.

"This village is built upon an open prairie, and the gracefully undulating hills the rise in the distance behind it are everywhere covered with a verdant green turf, without a tree or a bush anywhere to be seen. This view was taken from the deck of the steamer when I was on my way up the river" (Letters and Notes, vol. 1, p. 204, pl. 80). - George Catlin

The Arikara people call themselves Sahnish, meaning "the People". Their close relatives are the Skiri Pawnee. Both are part the Caddoan group of tribes. In 1796 the Arikara were living in two consolidated villages just below the mouth of the Cheyenne River. These were the remnants of 32 villages built further south along the Missouri that had been decimated in the 1780s by three smallpox epidemics. By the time of the Lewis and Clark's visit in 1804, the Arikara had again moved north and settled in three villages near the Grand River. These villages housed about 2,000 people in 60 earth lodges that belonged to extended families. The round, earth-covered dwellings aroused the interest of Patrick Gass - a member of the Lewis and Clark expedition and former carpenter - enough for him to note their design in his journal.

The Arikara were a horticultural people who raised corn, beans, squash, tobacco and other goods for their own sustenance as well as
The Arikara People Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk
2. The Arikara People Marker
trade. They were noted for their special relationship with "Mother Corn", who taught them their knowledge and farming practices as well as their ceremonies. Their success in farming helped balance the power with their neighbors, the numerous but not-farming Teton Sioux, who exchanged dried meat and hides for corn.

In 1823, the Arikara attacked a group of traders led by William Ashley, killing fifteen men. The Arikara may have carried a grudge over the mysterious death of one of their chiefs who traveled to Washington, DC or were angered by being bypassed by the Ashley expedition when they went up river, upsetting the trade balance. Whatever the cause, Ashley was able to convince the army to send out a punitive expedition, In August 1823 Col. Leavenworth lead 230 soldiers, 50 volunteer trappers, and a large contingent of Sioux warriors, perhaps 750, in an attack against the villages. Leavenworth shelled the villages with two batteries of howitzers but failed to aggressively push his overwhelming military advantage. As the result of a truce, the Arikara slipped away during the night. Thus ended the first, large-scale, military-Indian conflict on the Northern Plains.

The Arikara remained at the Grand River until 1832 when they rejoined their kindred, the Pawnee, on the Loup River. In 1837 they journeyed back north, ending up at the Mandan villages on the Knife River in the midst of another smallpox epidemic. Their final move was in 1862 to Like-a-Fishhook Village on Fort Berthold.

Long Soldier Winter Count Icon 1837 - 1838 Small Pox Year

Standing Rock Native American Scenic Byway

On the east side of Fort Yates, overlooking Oahe Reservoir, is the Standing Rock Monument from which the Standing Rock Agency derived its name. According to legend, the stone is the petrification of the Arikara wife of a Dakota man with her child on her back.

The Standing Rock Native American Scenic Byway offers access to authentic history and culture of the Lakota/Dakota people, along with casino entertainment, great food and lodging, and uncrowded outdoor recreation.

Grand vistas present the Missouri River along the same routes traveled by Lewis and Clark, Sakakawea, and Sitting Bull.
 
Location. 45° 34.401′ N, 100° 29.186′ W. Marker is near Mobridge, South Dakota, in Corson County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 12 and State Highway 1806 on U.S. 12. Touch for map. This marker is located in a roadside park on an island in the Missouri River at the Hwy 12 western approach to the Mobridge Bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Mobridge SD 57601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leavenworth Battle (a few steps from this marker); Native American Scenic Byway (a few steps from this marker); The Fur Trade (within shouting distance of this marker); Jedediah Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); "MO.Bridge" (approx. 2.1 miles away); History Beneath the Waters (approx. 2.1 miles away); Ensign Nathaniel Pryor (approx. 2.3 miles away); Lewis & Clark (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mobridge.
 
Categories. Native AmericansWars, US Indian
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 25, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 25, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement