Tarentum in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Orr's Block House
This was built in the town of Tarentum for protection of the traders.
At the time Tarentum was known as a resting area for hunters and traders.
The blockhouse had a trap door and no windows, just peep holes for firing rifles.
The blockhouse that is now down in the park here was built in 1976, dedicated to the 200th anniversary.
Captain Robert Orr died in Kittanning on September 4, 1833.
The original blockhouse may have been destroyed before March of 1791.
Location. 40° 35.913′ N, 79° 45.418′ W. Marker is in Tarentum, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from East 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in park beneath the Tarentum Bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Tarentum PA 15084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chartier's Old Town (a few steps from this marker); Fannie Sellins (approx. 1.1 miles away); Willie Thrower (approx. 2.3 miles away); Eddie Adams (approx. 2.4 miles away); Stephanie Kwolek (approx. 2˝ miles away); Burtner House (approx. 2.7 miles away); Rachel Carson (approx. 4.2 miles away); Carnegie Hero Fund Commission (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Orr's Block House. (Submitted on January 26, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 94 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 26, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.