Near Tiller in Douglas County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Red Mountain Lookout
In 1921 the Forest Service began, using a lookout tree on the Red Mountain in the upper Cow Creek Valley to detect fires in the surrounding mountains and valleys. The tree was replaced by a cupola style lookout in 1928. This building was moved to its present site in the fall of 1985 and refurbished in 1986. Furnishings, such as the fire finder (used to locate the exact position of a fire), and the glass-legged lookout stool (for-standing or sitting upon during lightning storms), were gathered from Forest Service sources and private donors.
Erected by U.S. Forest Service.
Location. 42° 55.568′ N, 122° 56.968′ W. Marker is near Tiller, Oregon, in Douglas County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Tiller Trail Highway (Oregon Route 227) and Avery Berry Loop (Forest Road 1600), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker and subject building are located on a short trail which originates at the Tiller Ranger Station. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27812 Tiller Trail Highway, Tiller OR 97484, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. The Tiller Ranger Station (a few steps from this marker).
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Red Mountain Lookout.
(Link includes photograph of the lookout in its original location.) In 1910, Forest Supervisor H.O. Stabler wrote a special fire report stating that Red Mountain was “unquestionably the best lookout point” in the Columbia National Forest (later named Gifford Pinchot National Forest). As a result, plans were made to build a lookout on Red Mountain, and in 1913 an 8’x8′ cedar-frame cabin was constructed on the summit. Six years later, the original lookout was replaced with a cupola cabin, and in 1935 the cupola was replaced with an L-4 cabin. (Submitted on January 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Red Mountain Lookout.
The original lookout on Red Mountain was a tree tower built by the Umpqua National Forest in about 1920. It was replaced in 1928 with this D-6 12'x12' cupola cabin and staffed into the 1960s. Moved to the Tiller Ranger Station in 1985, it has been restored as an historic exhibit. (Submitted on January 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on January 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.