Elkton in Douglas County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Douglas County History
On the west bank and upstream is the site of Fort Umpqua. Established in 1836 by the Hudsonís Bay Company, the fort was a twelve foot high and ninety foot square stockade with bastions at diagonal corners. The fort served as a dwelling for superintendent Jean Baptiste Gagnier and his family who were the first residents of Douglas County. The fort consisted of a range of stores and quarters for six employees. Outside was a barn and stable, a few apple trees, and eighty fenced acres under cultivation.
Fort Umpqua, the southernmost fur trading post was twice besieged by Indians. The advent of the gold rush and the donation land laws began bringing settlers to Umpqua Valley and marked the end of the profitable Indian trade and the post was abandoned in 1852.
Location. 43° 37.871′ N, 123° 33.859′ W. Marker is in Elkton, Oregon, in Douglas County. Marker is on Elkton-Sutherlin Highway (Oregon Route 138) south of Mehl Creek Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in a pull-out on the east side of the highway. Marker is in this post office area: Elkton OR 97436, United States of America.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Umpqua (HBC fort, 1836-1853).
Fort Umpqua was a small but important post in the Hudsonís Bay Companyís fur-trade empire in the Oregon Country. The farthest south (Submitted on January 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Fort Umpqua.
Fort Umpqua was first established in 1832 at the confluence of Calapooya Creek and the Umpqua River. In 1836 it was moved and rebuilt on the south bank of the Umpqua River near the mouth of Elk Creek, at present-day Elkton, Oregon. The fort was intended to serve company's fur trade operations along the Umpqua River, Rogue River, and Klamath River. (Submitted on January 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Second Fort Umpqua.
Another Fort Umpqua was established later, in 1856 at the end of the 1855–1856 Rogue River War. It was located on the north bank of the Umpqua River about two miles from its mouth, near Gardiner, Oregon. Its structures including a blockhouse and barracks was built from salvaged material from Fort Orford. Troops from the (Submitted on January 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on January 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.