Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glover Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

“Tunlaw Road”

 
 
"Tunlaw Road" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, January 27, 2018
1. "Tunlaw Road" Marker
Inscription.
Tunlaw Road first appeared in official records in 1879. It was named after Tunlaw Farm, now the Wesley Heights neighborhood, which took its name from a prominent walnut tree on the property. The owner spelled the name of his favorite tree backwards, and called the farm "Tunlaw". Tunlaw Road originally extended north to Loughboro Road and south to Calvert Street. The area south of Calvert Street, laid out in 1770, was then known as Back Street because it backed up to the lots along High Street. High Street is now Wisconsin Avenue. Sometime after 1906, the name Tunlaw Road was extended to include Back Street. The northern part of Tunlaw Road became New Mexico Avenue in 1924.

Glover Park Artist: Beth Sworobuk, Benton Street NW

Art on Call is a program of Cultural Tourism DC, with support from:
DC Commission of Arts and Humanities,
DC Creates Public Art Program,
District Department of Transportation,
Office of Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development.

This box was restored by Friends of Glover Park in 2009.
Local funding was provided by ANC 3B.
www.gpcadc.org

 
Erected 2009 by Cultural Tourism DC.
 
Location. 38° 55.18′ N, 77° 4.384′ 
"Tunlaw Road" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, January 27, 2018
2. "Tunlaw Road" Marker
W. Marker is in Glover Park, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Tunlaw Road Northwest south of 37th Street NW, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2207 Tunlaw Road NW, Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Mapping Art On Call" (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dedication to the Dedicated (about 500 feet away); Holy Rood Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Herbert R. Morgan" (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Charles Carroll Glover" (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Dischord Records" (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Georgetown Departed (approx. mile away); Introduction to Burleith (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glover Park.
 
Categories. AgricultureColonial EraEnvironmentRoads & Vehicles
 
"Tunlaw Road" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, January 27, 2018
3. "Tunlaw Road" Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 79 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement