Near Ryland in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Central High School/Central Junior High School
Central High School
In 1916, the Superintendent of Madison County Schools met with the citizens of Ryland, Maysville, and Brownsboro to discuss plans to replace the three one-room schools serving each community. Five acres of centrally located land were donated and the citizens volunteered time, labor, and money to construct a two-story frame building. On November 5, 1917, at 8:30 a.m., Central Consolidated High School first opened with eleven grades. The students were transported by three covered wagons and one truck-type bus. Around 1920, an additional wing was added to the building. By 1922, enrollment had reached 390 students with a 157 day term and a fall break for picking cotton. On the evening of March 1, 1931, Central High School, the first consolidated school in Madison County, was destroyed by fire.
Central Junior High School
After Central High School was destroyed by fire, the citizens once again donated their time, labor, and money to help rebuild the school. Central Junior High School, a brick building with large arching windows, first opened on November 3, 1931. Over the next five decades, “Colts” was adopted as the school’s mascot; indoor restrooms, two additional wings, and a lunchroom were added. The school was
On January 24, 1984, classes began at the current Central School.
Erected 2017 by Central School Centennial Committee.
Location. 34° 45.961′ N, 86° 27.259′ W. Marker is near Ryland, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Ryland Pike east of Moontown Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in front of school in grass area of parking lot. Near 2nd entrance at top of hill (East side of school). Marker is at or near this postal address: 990 Ryland Pike, Huntsville AL 35811, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flint River Primitive Baptist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Flint River Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shiloh United Methodist Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Trail of Tears (approx. 2˝ miles away); Spring Migration Monte Sano Railway (approx. 3.9 miles away); Site of Bell Factory (approx. 4.3 miles away); Lowell M. Anderson (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ryland.
More about this marker. Marker was erected during the school centennial.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2018. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 29, 2018, by James Wallace Hudson of Brownsboro, Alabama. 3. submitted on February 5, 2018. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.