Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cisco in Eastland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Bankhead Highway

 
 
The Bankhead Highway Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, January 22, 2018
1. The Bankhead Highway Marker
Inscription. The Bankhead National Highway, from Washington, D.C. to San Diego, California, was the nationís first all-weather, coast-to-coast highway. The southern road skirted the western mountains and was largely free from ice and snow, so it could be used reliably year-round. It was named for Alabama Senator John H. Bankhead, author of the Federal Highway Act of 1916, which provided federal aid to states for highway construction.
†††††An “All Texas” route from Texarkana to El Paso was approved when the Bankhead Highway Association met in Mineral Wells in April, 1919. A few branches were also approved. The primary route coincided with Texas Highway No. 1. About 900 miles long, the Texas 1 Bankhead comprised nearly one-third of the total length of the national road.
†††††The Texas Bankhead became part of the route known as the “Broadway of America.” After numbers replaced names on national highways in 1926, the Bankhead route from Texarkana became part of US-67 to Dallas, where it joined US-80. Those federal highways were often realigned and by the 1960s gave way to Interstates 30 and 20 (which merged with I-10 in far West Texas).
†††††Despite the changes, most of the early Bankhead in Texas remains as state and county roads that connect the towns which the interstates by-passed. The Bankhead name lives on
The Bankhead Highway Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, January 22, 2018
2. The Bankhead Highway Marker
Marker is mounted on front wall right of the entrance door
in public memory, as do miles of Bankhead pavement from the 1920s.
 
Erected by Bankhead Highway Association.
 
Location. 32° 23.326′ N, 98° 58.834′ W. Marker is in Cisco, Texas, in Eastland County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of W. 7th Street and Avenue E, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 W. 7th St, Cisco TX 76437, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First National Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Cisco (about 700 feet away); Old Mobley Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Cisco (approx. ľ mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Cisco (approx. ľ mile away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cisco College (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dothan Cemetery (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cisco.
 
Also see . . .  Bankhead Highway. A website from the Texas Historical Commission. (Submitted on January 30, 2018.) 
 
Categories. Roads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 30, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 30, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement