Originally built as a slave cabin, this building was later converted into the kitchen for the Overseer's House. Its use as a schoolhouse began in the late 1800's and continued into the 1930's. The structure was moved to the museum from Welham Plantation in 1971.
The children of some plantation owners were educated at private or parochial academies, while others were taught by hired tutors. These tutors were frequently permitted to use their personal time to teach children of the plantation overseer and of neighboring yeoman farmers for a fee.
Erected by LSU Rural Life Museum. (Marker Number 24.)
Location. 30° 24.638′ N, 91° 6.922′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker can be reached from Essen Lane (State Road 3064) near 10, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4560 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge LA 70808, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Overseer's House (a few steps from this marker); Blacksmith Shop (a few steps from this marker); Sick House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bagatelle Kitchen
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the LSU Rural Life Museum complex.
Also see . . . LSU Rural Life Museum. (Submitted on January 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Last updated on January 31, 2018, by T. Patton of Jefferson, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.