Chester in Queen Annes County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Crossing the Narrows
c. 1672 — Ferry links from Annapolis is to Kent Island and across the Kent Narrows are part of the Great Road system through the colonies.
c. 1826 — Earthen causeway built, closing the straits and joining the island with the mainland.
1876 — Causeway removed to allow boat traffic between the Eastern Bay and the Chester River.
1876 — Drawbridge replaces the causeway.
c. 1900 — Queen Anne's Railroad Company builds railroad bridge across the Narrows.
1952 — The Chesapeake Bay Bridge opens, joining the Eastern and Western Shrores of the Bay for the first time.
1956 — Last train crosses the Narrows and rail bridge is formally dosed.
1990 —65 foot-tall Kent Narrows Bridge completed.
Location. 38° 58.522′ N, 76° 14.96′ W. Marker Touch for map. This marker is near the Chesapeake Heritage & Visitor Center at the bridge to Ferry Point Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 425 Piney Narrows Road, Chester MD 21619, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chesapeake Country National Scenic Byway (within shouting distance of this marker); Maryland's Eastern Shore (within shouting distance of this marker); Byway Destinations (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Byway Destinations (within shouting distance of this marker); Enemy Occupation (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crossing Point (approx. half a mile away); Working the Waters (approx. 0.6 miles away); Island in the Marsh: a hummock (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 1, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.