Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic Preservation in Georgetown
Georgetown citizens have been central to preserving Georgetown's important historic houses. Three of these houses, built at the turn of the 19th century on large plots of land overlooking the port, are now accessible to the public and are testaments to the rich architectural heritage of Georgetown.
Built in 1800, Dumbarton Oaks, 3101 R Street, was purchased by former diplomat Robert Woods Bliss and his wife Mildred in 1920. They restored the run-down houses and added the gardens designed by renowned landscape architect Beatrix Farrand.
In 1923, inspired by the Blisses, fellow diplomat Ferdinand Lammot Belin saved Evermay, 1623 28th Street, from demolition for apartment house construction. Belin restored Evermay's 18th-century Georgian character by removing Victorian additions. Evermay became home to three generations of Belins.
Dumbarton House, 2715 Q Street, was built in 1798. In 1915, when the Dumbarton Bridge was built over Rock Creek, the house was moved 100 feet to accommodate the extension of Q Street into Georgetown. The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America purchased and restored the house in 1928.
Tudor Place, 1644 31st Street, was built by Martha Washington's granddaughter, Martha Custis Peter and her husband, Thomas, who bought the land with a legacy of $8,000
Georgetown citizens were instrumental in persuading Congress to pass the Old Georgetown Act in 1950, creating the Georgetown Historic District.
Fire alarm such as this one (originally painted red) were installed in the District after the Civil War. In most boxes, the alarm was activated by opening a door on the front of the box and pulling a lever. An automatic telegraph system transmitted the box number to a central office that directed the closest fire station to dispatch a fire truck
DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities, DC Creates Public Art Program
District Department of Transportation
Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
Citizens Association of Georgetown
Dumbarton Oaks • Tudor Place
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
Location. 38° 54.402′ N, 77° 3.675′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of 31st St NW and N Street NW, on the left when traveling north on 31st St NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tayloe/Snyder House (within shouting distance of this marker); John Lutz (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 5 Congress at Oak Alley (about 400 feet away); John Laird (about 400 feet away); Georgetown's Watering Holes (about 500 feet away); Dumbarton United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Old Stone House (about 600 feet away); The Cornerstone of the Original Christ Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Waterways & Vessels • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.