Salem in Marion County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
These Corinthian column segments originally were part of those that graced the west and east entrance porticos of Oregon's first state house. The cornerstone for the original Capitol was laid October 8, 1873. The building was partially completed and occupied on August 26, 1876. The structure, designed by architect Justice F. Krumbein, was totally completed (including the original dome) in 1892 for a total cost of $500,000. It was destroyed by fire April 25, 1935.
The bricks used for the inner core construction of these columns and for the building were made by convicts at the Oregon State Penitentiary. The limestone fluted veneer facings of the columns came from Douglas County quarries.
These segments were salvaged from several locations in Salem and vicinity during 1980 and were returned to this original location for the interest of historical preservation.
First Lady Mrs. Victor Atiyeh and Governor Atiyeh promoted the idea of preserving the column segments as a piece of Oregon's history. The columns were found in Mill Creek, near the residence of the Governor, and on the State 4-H property. Mrs. Atiyeh worked with the Oregon Historical Properties Committee, Department of General Services employees, and personnel and inmates from the Oregon State Penitentiary to design and construct
Erected 1981 by Oregon Historical Properties Committee.
Location. 44° 56.292′ N, 123° 1.742′ W. Marker is in Salem, Oregon, in Marion County. Marker can be reached from Court Street NE west of Waverly Street NE, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the Oregon State Capitol grounds, near the northeast corner of the Capitol. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Court Street NE, Salem OR 97301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Willamette University College of Medicine (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); T.G. Bligh Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Salem (approx. 0.4 miles away); Herbert Hoover Boyhood Home (approx. 1˝ miles away); Turner (approx. 7.6 miles away); Polk County Fairgrounds Applegate Trail Kiosk James W. Nesmith (approx. 9.8 miles away); Madame Marie Dorion (approx. 13.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Also see . . .
1. The Capitol Fire, 1935.
On April 25, 1935, a fire started in the basement of the east wing and quickly spread to piles of old records in wooden storage boxes. As the strong updraft in the hollow columns enclosing the dome’s eight supporting steel lattice girders pulled the flames through the rotunda to upper stories, the core of the building was rapidly engulfed in flames. The dome inverted and collapsed into its well. Despite the efforts of the Salem Fire Department, the building could not be saved. (Submitted on February 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Oregon State Capitol.
The second capitol, built between 1873 and 1876, was a two-story structure with an additional first level that was partly underground. The large copper-clad dome was constructed with an iron and steel framework. This dome rose 54 feet above the rest of the building and was 100 feet tall. The building was of Renaissance style with Corinthian columns on the front entrance.
On the east side of the current (third) capitol building is Capitol Park, which includes an exhibit(Submitted on February 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on February 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.