Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands
 

Sint Olofskapel / Saint Olof's Chapel

 
 
Sint Olofskapel / Saint Olof's Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 17, 2017
1. Sint Olofskapel / Saint Olof's Chapel Marker
The left half of the marker provides an illustration of the footprint of the chapel at various points in time. (Click on photo to enlarge.)
Inscription.   Sint Olofskapel op Oudezijds Kapel

De uit de eerste helft van de 15de eeuw daterende Sint Olofskapel is het op één na oudste kerkgebouw in Amsterdam. Het is oorspronkelijk gebouwd voor Noorse zeelieden en vernoemd naar de Noorse koning Olav. De bouw kwam in diverse fasen tot stand. Na de alteratie in 1578 fungeerde het gebouw tot 1615 als eerste koopmansbeurs in Amsterdam.

In 1645 werd de kapel voor de protestantse eredienst geschikt gemaakt en verkreeg het zijn huidige vorm. Uit die tijd dateert ook de zand-stenen hoofdingang, toegeschreven aan bouwmeester Hendrick de Keyser. Het opschrift luidt: 'Spes Altera Vitae': 'Hoop Op Een Beter Leven'.

In 1917 werd het religieus gebruik gestaakt en het interieur verwijderd. Sedertdien werd de kapel voor diverse wereldlijke funkties gebruikt, zoals kaasbeurs, distributie van voedsel in oorlogstijd en centrum voor kunstcontact in de zestiger jaren.

In 1966 brandde de Olofskapel geheel uit. In 1992 vond de restauratie en verbouwing tot conferentiecentrum plaats ten behoeve van het Golden Tulip Barbizon Palace Hotel. waarmee de kapel door middel van een tunnel onder

Saint Olof's Chapel and Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Chris06 (via Wikimedia Commons under CC-BY-SA-4.0 license), May 14, 2016
2. Saint Olof's Chapel and Marker - Wide View
de Zeedijk is verbonden. De zeskantige toren werd naar oorspronkelijk gotisch model gereconstrueerd door N.J. Kesper te Amsterdam.


[English translation:]

Dating from the first half of the 15th Century, Sint Olofskapel (Saint Olof's Chapel) is the second oldest church building in Amsterdam. It was originally built for Norwegian sailors and named after King Olav of Norway. The construction was completed in various phases. After alterations in 1578, the building served until 1615 as the first merchant trade hall in Amsterdam.

In 1645, the chapel was altered for Protestant worship and took on its current form. The sandstone main entrance dates from that time, attributed to the architect Hendrick de Keyser. The inscription reads: 'Spes Altera Vitae': 'Hope for a Better Life'.

In 1917, religious use was discontinued and the interior was removed. Since then, the chapel has been used for various secular functions, such as cheese fairs, the distribution of food in wartime, and as a center for the arts in the 1960s.

In 1966, a fire completely gutted the interior of the Olofskapel. In 1992 the restoration and conversion to a conference center took place, making it part of the Golden Tulip Barbizon Palace Hotel, with which the chapel is connected by means of a tunnel under Zeedijk Street. The hexagonal tower was reconstructed

Sint Olofskapel / Saint Olof's Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 17, 2017
3. Sint Olofskapel / Saint Olof's Chapel and Marker
The chapel is on the right.
according to the original Gothic model by N.J. Kesper of Amsterdam.
 
Erected by Zimmermanfonds, ANWB.
 
Location. 52° 22.57′ N, 4° 54.01′ E. Marker is in Amsterdam, North Holland. Marker is on Zeedijk just south of Prins Hendrikkade, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Zeedijk 2, Amsterdam, North Holland 1012 AX, Netherlands.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chet Baker (within shouting distance of this marker); Schreierstoren (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Henry Hudson (about 150 meters away); Bet van Beeren (about 150 meters away); Spoorviaduct Oostertoegang Centraal Station / Railway Viaduct, Eastern Entrance, Central Station (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Anthoniespoort / St. Anthony's Gate (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Dominicuskerk / Dominican Church (approx. half a kilometer away); Municipal Morgue (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amsterdam.
 
Also see . . .
1. Sint Olafskapel (IAmsterdam). "The original Sint Olofskapel (Saint Olof’s chapel) was built between 1440 and 1450, making it the oldest chapel in Amsterdam. It was built in honor of saint was Saint Odulphus from the Dutch province of Brabant – the patron saint of the dykes...." (Submitted on February 4, 2018.) 

2. Sint Olofskapel (Wikipedia, in Dutch). (Submitted on February 4, 2018.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 4, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.