Near Lakeview in Lake County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Chandler State Park
Having been among the early pioneers in this area, S.B. Chandler became one of the largest land owners in the vicinity during that era (1870 – 1930). He ran large amounts of sheep and also some cattle. At the peak of his land ownership his property extended from the XL Ranch at the north end of Abert Lake to the Simms Ranch and Chandler Station Ranch in the Valley Falls area. It continued on through Crooked Creek Valley to the White Rock Ranch at the top of Fisk Hill with small dispersed pieces on towards Lakeview, where his “Town Home” was located on South E Street.
This property was donated to the Oregon State Highway Department for use as a park in July 1929 by S.B. and Hattie Chandler. The man who managed the State Highway Department in Lakeview at that time had noticed that these pine trees were the first to be encountered by travelers as they came into the area from points eastward, and felt that it was an appropriate place for a park. S.B. Chandler owned the property and when he was approached to possibly sell the land to the State for use as a park, he decided to donate it for that novel purpose. Thus it was named “Chandler State Park” in honor of S.B. Chandler and his beloved wife, Hattie.
The descendants of S.B. Chandler and Hattie Chandler, some of whom
Erected 2007 by Descendants of S.B. and Hattie Chandler.
Location. 42° 24.601′ N, 120° 17.427′ W. Marker is near Lakeview, Oregon, in Lake County. Marker can be reached from Fremont Highway (U.S. 395) south of Forest Road 3630, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located within Chandler State Wayside, on the west side of the highway. Marker is in this post office area: Lakeview OR 97630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abert Rim (approx. 3.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Chandler State Wayside.
The Chandler ranch included property on Crooked Creek. In one area along the creek, there was a stand of large ponderosa pine. These were the first large pine trees that travelers encountered when approaching the area from high desert county to the (Submitted on February 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Parks & Recreational Areas • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.