Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Onyx in Kern County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Onyx Store - 1880

 
 
Onyx Store - 1880
 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 10, 2009
1. Onyx Store - 1880
 Marker
Inscription. William Scodie, born in 1827 in Prussia, originally moved to Keyesville in 1856 and opened an eating establishment. He relocated to this area in 1861 operating a way-station from his house. Stocking his front room with supplies, he sold to locals as well as miners and freighters passing through to the Argus Mines in San Bernardino County.

This store, originally called the Scodie Store, was constructed in 1880 under the supervision of Captain Andress, a local rancher. In 1889, the name Onyx was chosen by Scodie after the Post Office Department declined to use the name Scodie due to its similarity to Scotia (in Humboldt County).

Scodie died in 1898, but the store he founded continues to serve residents and travelers alike.
 
Erected 1995 by Peter LeBeck Chapter #1866, E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 35° 41.243′ N, 118° 14.178′ W. Marker is in Onyx, California, in Kern County. Marker is on Isabella Walker Pass Road (State Highway 178) west of Doyle Ranch Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23523 California 178, Onyx CA 93255, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Onyx Store - 1880
 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 10, 2009
2. Onyx Store - 1880
 Marker
At least 3 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kernville (approx. 11.4 miles away); Kernville Veterans Memorial (approx. 11 miles away); Bob Powers (approx. 11.7 miles away).
 
Additional comments.
1. Store "Establish" date is wrong
The Onyx Store is still in business today, but they are in error about their "Established in" date. Their signs all say "Established in 1851". Why is that in error? The original owner William Scodie didn't even come to the Kern River Valley until 1856, to this area (now called Onyx) in 1861, then ran the store and a stage stop from his home. This current store is the third building to house Scodie's original store, the previous stores either burned down or were intentionally moved. In 1880, this store was moved a few hundred feet so that it could be located along the new roadway (now called Hwy 178). Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
    — Submitted May 27, 2015, by Alan Price or Jayne Hotchkiss-Price of Caliente, California.

 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Onyx Store and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 10, 2009
3. Onyx Store and Marker
The Onyx Store image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 10, 2009
4. The Onyx Store
Onyx Store image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 10, 2009
5. Onyx Store
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 623 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on February 7, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1. submitted on January 22, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California.   2. submitted on December 31, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California.   3, 4. submitted on January 22, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California.   5. submitted on December 31, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement