Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cohoes in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Egberts & Bailey Mill

 
 
Egberts & Bailey Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, September 7, 2008
1. Egberts & Bailey Mill Marker
Inscription.
First building erected for the
manufacture of knit goods by
power in America, 1836. First
power knitting machinery
applied in Cohoes, 1832

 
Erected 1939 by New York State Education Department.
 
Location. 42° 46.449′ N, 73° 42.134′ W. Marker is in Cohoes, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Ontario Street (Route 470) and Moose Lane, on the right when traveling east on Ontario Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cohoes NY 12047, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Power Mill for the Manufacture of Knit Fabrics (here, next to this marker); Horace B. Silliman (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cohoes City Hall (about 600 feet away); The Erie Canal (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Cohoes Mastodont (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cohoes - Waterford Bridge (approx. half a mile away); White Homestead (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cohoes Mastodon (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cohoes.
 
Additional keywords. Knitting Mill Reverand William Lee
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Egberts & Bailey Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, September 20, 2006
2. Egberts & Bailey Mill Marker
Cohoes City Hill is seen in the distance, to the east, down Ontario Street (RT 470) in the lower left of the photo.
Egberts & Bailey Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, September 7, 2008
3. Egberts & Bailey Mill Marker
The New York State Education Department historic marker mounted next to a City of Cohoes marker. The City of Cohoes placed their marker in 1929; the State put theirs up 10 years later, in 1939.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,141 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 11, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   2. submitted on September 16, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   3. submitted on September 11, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement