Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Town Hall / Market House

 
 
First Town Hall / Market House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 5, 2007
1. First Town Hall / Market House Marker
Inscription. On this site stood Fredericksburg’s first Town Hall / Market House built c. 1763. The building most likely had an arched lower level, brick upper floors and a cupola on the roof. During the early years, the Town Hall did not serve as a governmental building, but instead was a center for social events. After the Revolution, the building slowly evolved into the “semi-official” seat of government. The lower level of the building—the Market House—now housed the Clerk of the Market and functioned in tandem with the Market Square. The upper floors became the site of annual Council elections and public meetings. The first Town Hall was torn down in 1812 to make room for another larger public building. The second Town Hall still stands today and is located at the top of the alley.
 
Location. 38° 18.198′ N, 77° 27.576′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Princess Anne Street south of William Street (Business Virginia Route 3). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 907 Princess Anne St, Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Town Hall / Market House
Excavation at Market Square image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 4, 2007
2. Excavation at Market Square
(within shouting distance of this marker); Weedon’s Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Stating Inalienable Rights (within shouting distance of this marker); Seeking Civil Rights (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewis Randolph Ball (within shouting distance of this marker); Gun from the CSS Virginia (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); Site of Barton House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Courthouse (about 400 feet away); A Vast Hospital (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
Also see . . .  Market-House/Town Hall. (Submitted on June 6, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,506 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on June 10, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement