—Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
The width of Bayou Courtableau at the Town of Washington was too narrow to maintain steamboat operations until a turning basin was completed in 1848, allowing steamboats to reverse course and head back downstream.
Originally called the Opelousas River, Bayou Courtableau’s name was changed to honor the memory of Jacques Courtableau, a wealthy and influential landowner. The bayou was historically connected to the Atchafalaya River but today receives up to 1,040 cubic feet per second of fresh water from the Atchafalaya via the Teche-Vermilion Pumping Station in Krotz Springs. Bayou Courtableau flows through the towns of Washington and Port Barre, where it feeds into Bayou Teche.
Steamboat transportation arrived in western Louisiana in the early 1800s. Ocean-going boats that traversed the Atlantic between New Orleans and Europe were too large to safely navigate the bayous and rivers of the Atchafalaya Basin, so smaller, shallow draft vessels were constructed and quickly became the primary means of carrying cargo and passengers throughout the lower part of the Basin. This heyday lasted for more than 50 years, with boats transporting goods such as cotton and cottonseed, sugar, molasses and poultry throughout the region.
As the number of steamboats grew and the frequency of their visits increased, small villages, towns
In 1896 the Southern Pacific Railroad was extended through Opelousas, and many Washington residents moved to that city as it grew. The last steamboat departed the downtown wharf in 1900, falling victim to the success of the railroad system throughout the U.S.
Visit Atchafalaya.org for more information about this site.
This site’s geology/geomorphology: Pleistocene meander-belt deposits of Mississippi River blanketed by Peoria Loess
Erected by State of Louisiana and National Park Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 30° 36.912′ N, 92° 3.202′ W. Marker is in Washington, Louisiana, in
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Plaisance School (approx. 4.7 miles away); Opelousas Catholic School (approx. 5.2 miles away); St. Landry Catholic Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Lt. Fr. Joseph "Verbis" Lafleur (approx. 5.2 miles away); a different marker also named St. Landry Catholic Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); St. Landry Catholic Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Black Academy At Mt. Olive Baptist Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Louisiana Memorial Methodist Church (approx. 5.8 miles away).
Categories. • Environment • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 22, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 22, 2018.