Intersection of Washington and South Commerce streets
The present Temple B'nai Israel, built in 1904, replaced an 1870s temple that burned (pictured above). Both reflect the success of Jewish merchants after the Civil War. Jews lived in Natchez as early as the late 1700s, but their numbers grew in the 1840s from large waves of immigration from France and Germany. The Jewish population was fully involved in the economic, social, and civic life of Natchez.
Jewish women served on the board of the Protestant Orphan Asylum and other charitable organizations. They joined the garden clubs and played roles in building the city's heritage tourism economy. Jane Wexler, daughter of a prominent Jewish family, served as queen of the Spring Pilgrimage tour season in 1935.
Natchez elected a Jewish mayor, Isaac Lowenburg (far left), in 1882. He was a German immigrant who came to Natchez during the Civil War as a contract merchant with the Union Army and stayed to become a successful businessman. To his right stands Jewish businessman Cassius Tillman, who served as county sheriff, treasurer, and school board member.
Built in 1822, Trinity Episcopal Church is the oldest church building in Natchez. Before the Civil War, the families of many of the richest cotton planters filled the pews. Later additions to the building include
Glen Auburn is Mississippi's grandest example of the French Second Empire style, known for its distinctive mansard roof. The 1870s home of Christian Schwartz is symbolic of the rise of the merchant class, which replaced the slave-owning planter class in influence and wealth in Natchez after the Civil War.
Erected by City of Natchez.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
Location. 31° 33.472′ N, 91° 24.245′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of South Commerce Street and Washington Street, on the right when traveling south on South Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Temple B'Nai Israel (a few steps from this marker); Intersection of Washington and South Union streets (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Intersection of Washington and South Pearl streets (about 400 feet away); Intersection of State and South Pearl streets (about 400 feet away); The First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); In Gratitude (about 700 feet away); United States Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Intersection of Washington and South Rankin streets (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 22, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 79 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 22, 2018.