Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Intersection of Washington and South Union streets

Natchez Trails

 
 
Intersection of Washington and South Union streets Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
1. Intersection of Washington and South Union streets Marker
Inscription.
All four of the houses at this intersection were built before the Civil War, and three are associated with the family of Joseph Quegles, a Spaniard who settled in Natchez during the Spanish period (1779-1798).

Four houses near the intersection retain original slave quarters that stand in silent testimony to the thousands of enslaved people of African descent who lived in town and contributed to the life of the community. By 1860, the enslaved population made up almost one-third of the town's 6,600 people. They worked as domestic servants, laborers, skilled craftsmen, and assistants in downtown businesses.

Christiana LaCroze built the small townhouse at the corner (behind you) about 1843. The house is one of several on the block that feature common walls to create a row of houses without side yards. Row houses were often built in neighborhoods closest to downtown businesses where many people worked.

James and Josephine Quegles Ferguson built the Van Court Town House about 1835. During the next two years, Ferguson lost his wife and three infant sons to childbirth and illness. Such deaths were common until the 1900s brought better medical care. Dr. Elias J. Van Court acquired the house in 1882.

Peter Isler built his house at 508 Washington Street

Intersection of Washington and South Union streets Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
2. Intersection of Washington and South Union streets Marker
about 1818, but later owners enlarged and remodeled it. Isler served as an official printer for the territorial government and founded the the Mississippi Republican newspaper. The house's original slave quarters survive, and a newspaper advertisement identifies one of Isler's slaves who may have escaped to freedom.
 
Erected by City of Natchez.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
 
Location. 31° 33.433′ N, 91° 24.193′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is on South Union Street near Washington Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Temple B'Nai Israel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Intersection of Washington and South Commerce streets (about 400 feet away); Intersection of Washington and South Rankin streets (about 400 feet away); The First Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); Immaculate Conception Shrine c. 1846 (about 700 feet away); St. Mary's Cathedral (about 700 feet away); Intersection of Washington and South Pearl streets (about 700 feet away); Bishops' Prayer Garden (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 22, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 22, 2018.
Paid Advertisement