Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dayton in Yamhill County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Yamhill Blockhouse

Oregon History

 
 
Yamhill Blockhouse Marker, panel 1 image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 26, 2017
1. Yamhill Blockhouse Marker, panel 1
Inscription. This marker is composed of two panels.

This building was a military blockhouse built at the Grand Ronde Agency by Willamette Valley settlers in 1856.
U.S. Troops were sent to the station the same year and its was named "Fort Yamhill."
Among the famous Army Officers stationed at this fort were Sheridan, Wheeler, A.J. Smith and D.A. Russell and Hazen.

By permission of the U.S. Government Fort Yamhill was moved from Grand Ronde Agency to Dayton in 1911, thru efforts of John G. Lewis a patriotic citizen.
The structure was rebuilt on this spot as a memorial to General Joel Palmer a pioneer of Oregon, Superintendent of Indian Affairs, Founder of Dayton, and Donor of this Park.
 
Erected by Oregon Department of Transportation.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oregon Beaver Boards marker series.
 
Location. 45° 13.278′ N, 123° 4.584′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Oregon, in Yamhill County. Marker is at the intersection of SouthEast Dayton-Salem Highway (aka 3rd Street) (Oregon Route 211) and Main Street, on the right when traveling south on SouthEast Dayton-Salem Highway (aka 3rd Street). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 3rd Street, Dayton OR 97114, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Yamhill Blockhouse Marker, panel 2 image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 26, 2017
2. Yamhill Blockhouse Marker, panel 2
At least 7 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Courthouse Square Park (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Park and Blockhouse (a few steps from this marker); Willamette Post (approx. 7.1 miles away); Hoover - Minthorn House (approx. 7Ĺ miles away); Champoeg (approx. 8.7 miles away); Madame Marie Dorion (approx. 9.4 miles away); a different marker also named Madame Marie Dorion (approx. 9.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Fort Yamhill Blockhouse - Oregon Encyclopedia. The army built the blockhouse as part of a strategy to limit contact and conflict between Native people and Oregonís resettlement communities, especially near the newly created reservations. The structure stood at the boundary of the Grand Ronde Reservation and private farmland, on a serviceable road that facilitated the shipment of goods from Dayton, Corvallis, Oregon City, and Portland to supply the fort and reservation. (Submitted on February 23, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
Yamhill Blockhouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 26, 2017
3. Yamhill Blockhouse and Marker
U.S. Block House Grand Round (sic) Ore. image. Click for full size.
By Unknown
4. U.S. Block House Grand Round (sic) Ore.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 23, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement