Brookeville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
War of 1812 Bicentennial
—Brookeville, Maryland —
The Brookeville Academy was founded in 1810 by the town's leading citizens and built largely with donated materials. The building began as a one-story structure that was raised to two stories in 1834. The Academy provided a well-rounded education to about forty boys per year. The curriculum included reading, writing, and arithmetic, bookkeeping, geography, navigation, civil engineering and agriculture. The Academy also contained a library of 500 to 600 volumes on science, history, biography, voyages, travels and "belle-lettres."
Location. 39° 10.818′ N, 77° 3.511′ W. Marker is in Brookeville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on High Street (Maryland Route 97) south of Market Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 High Street, Brookeville MD 20833, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Refuge (here, next to this marker); Newlin’s Mill Millstone (a few steps from this marker); August 26, 1814 (within shouting distance of this marker); Brookeville (within shouting distance of this marker); Brookeville Angel (within shouting Margaret Brooke House (within shouting distance of this marker); Murphy House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gassaway House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brookeville.
Also see . . . History of the Brookeville Academy. (Submitted on February 25, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.)
Categories. • Education • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 25, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.