Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Milton in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

White's Chapel United Methodist Church

 
 
White's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, February 3, 2018
1. White's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1838, a Methodist Society then called the "Coolspring Methodist Episcopal Meeting House" began holding meetings in a schoolhouse situated on a nearby farm owned by Mrs. Jane Warrington. Trustees were elected and incorporated "to build White's Chapel" named for Reverend Henry White, a presiding Elder who served the preaching circuit continuously until 1842. A quarter acre of land for the church site was donated by Samuel Paynter in 1839, and a meeting house measuring 18 x 24 feet was constructed later that same year. After this first structure was destroyed by fire circa 1871, additional adjacent land was purchased from Alfred C. Warrington in 1872 and anew church measuring 30 x 45 feet was constructed within the present-day church. The present church was constructed and dedicated in 1921 by District Superintendent W.R. Mowbray. Together with Conley's United Methodist Church, Zion United Methodist Church, and three other now-defunct churches, White's Chapel comprised of Nassau Circuit which operated until the early 1930s. As a member of the Peninsula-Delaware Conference, White's Chapel continues to serve the spiritual needs of its surrounding community.
 
Erected 2014 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-235.)
 
Location.
White's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, February 3, 2018
2. White's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
38° 46.415′ N, 75° 13.395′ W. Marker is near Milton, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Coastal Highway (Route 1) north of Shell Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15297 Coastal Highway, Milton DE 19968, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Broadkiln Hundred (approx. 1 miles away); Cedar Creek Hundred (approx. 2.2 miles away); Tapping the Power of Wind Energy in Coastal Delaware (approx. 3.3 miles away); Lewes Maritime History Trail (approx. 3 miles away); Zion United Methodist Church (approx. 3 miles away); The Coursey-Daisey Nanticoke Indian Burial Ground (approx. 3.6 miles away); The De Vries Monument (approx. 3.6 miles away); deVries Monument (approx. 3.6 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Last updated on February 26, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 3, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement