Braxton in Simpson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
—Simpson County Heritage Trail —
Early Development: Braxton has its origins in the late nineteenth century, the community having formed around the medical.clinic and subsequent residence of Dr. E. L. Standifer, who moved his family from the Cato Community. When a post office was established, the community was named Braxton after the doctor's son, Ira Braxton Standifer. Dr. Standifer's house, spared by the Braxton Cyclone, still stands. At the turn of the century, the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad was built through the area. On December 19, 1901, the town was incorporated and chartered by Governor A. H. Longino.
The Braxton Cyclone: By 1921, Braxton was among the fastest growing rural areas in the state. Then, at 2:30 p.m., on April 26, 1921, a devastating tornado—the Braxton Cyclone—struck the community: the entire business district, both churches, the school house, the railroad station, and most homes were destroyed. On the heels of this disaster came the Great Depression. Today, in the Community Center, there is a museum room dedicated to the early days of Braxton and to the aftermath of the cyclone.
Piney Woods School: Nationally known Piney Woods School is adjacent to Braxton. In the early 1920's, when Professor Lawrence C. Jones came to the area to found Piney Woods
Braxton Today: Though never fully recovering from the combined devastation of the cyclone and the depression, Braxton remains a lively and progressive community and is one of the four incorporated municipalities in the county. Visitors to Braxton should be sure to see the Community Center with the Braxton Museum Room; the memorial to the Braxton Cyclone; and the beautiful Braxton Village Park. Braxton serves as the northern terminus and information center for the Simpson County Heritage Trail.
From the Columns of Bee King
The Simpson County News
The early settlers in the area found wild hogs, which they called "razorbacks." The Indians called the wild hogs living in the woods "DeSoto hogs" because they believed the breed was brought to this county by Hernando DeSoto. On May 30, 1539, Hernando DeSoto landed on the west coast of Florida with six hundred
Erected by the Simpson County Development Foundation.
Location. 32° 1.787′ N, 89° 58.207′ W. Marker is in Braxton, Mississippi, in Simpson County. Marker is at the intersection of Mississippi Route 149 and Oak Avenue, on the right when traveling south on State Route 149. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6009 Oak Avenue, Braxton MS 39044, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flags Over Simpson County (here, next to this marker); The Piney Woods School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Martha Louise Morrow Foxx (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Piney Woods School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Faith Hill (approx. 6.2 miles away); Mendenhall (approx. 7˝ miles away); Weathersby and Choctaw Heritage (approx. 10.3 miles away); Westville, Mississippi (approx. 11.3 miles away).
Categories. • Disasters • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.