Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Braxton in Simpson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Flags Over Simpson County

 

—Simpson County Heritage Trail —

 
Flags Over Simpson County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 2, 2017
1. Flags Over Simpson County Marker
Inscription. The flags of four nations—five, including the Confederate States of America—have flown over the territory that is now Simpson County. While the Spanish explorer DeSoto passed through Mississippi in the mid-1500s, the French explorer LaSalle claimed the territory for France in the early 1600's. By 1732, both France and England claimed the territory, England considering the colony of Georgia to reach to the Mississippi River. France conceded the territory to England in 1763 as part of the First Treaty of Paris that ended the French and Indian War.

Toward the end of the Revolutionary War, Spain claimed territory up to the 32nd parallel as part of West Florida. While still claimed by Spain, the territory including what is now Simpson County was ceded by England to the United States by the Second Treaty of Paris ending the Revolutionary War in 1783. By the Treaty of San Lorenzo in 1795, Spain conceded any claim to territory above the 31st parallel, ending any Spanish claim to the territory that in what is now Simpson County. The 1810 Republic of West Florida, therefore, did not include the area that is now Simpson County. The "Bonnie Blue Flag" of West Florida, however, was incorporated into the Magnolia Flag, and later it was a prominent emblem of the Confederacy. Georgia continued to claim
Braxton Marker in a triangular park on north side of town. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 2, 2017
2. Braxton Marker in a triangular park on north side of town.
the territory until 1798, when Congress created the Territory of Mississippi, from which the states of Mississippi and Alabama would be formed. On December 10, 1817, Mississippi was admitted to the Union as the twentieth state.

The Magnolia flag was authorized as the official flag of the Sovereign Republic of Mississippi on January 26, 1861. This flag used the Bonnie Blue design at the upper left with a Magnolia tree in the center of a white background. The Stars and Bars, the first flag of the Confederacy, was raised over Mississippi on March 27, 1861. After the Civil War, the Magnolia flag was retained as the state flag until 1894 when the present flag was adopted.
 
Erected by the Simpson County Development Foundation.
 
Location. 32° 1.788′ N, 89° 58.207′ W. Marker is in Braxton, Mississippi, in Simpson County. Marker is at the intersection of Mississippi Route 149 and Oak Avenue, on the right when traveling south on State Route 149. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6009 Oak Avenue, Braxton MS 39044, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Braxton (here, next to this marker); The Piney Woods School (approx. 2.7
Guide to the Simpson County Heritage Trail and provides directions & map. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 2, 2017
3. Guide to the Simpson County Heritage Trail and provides directions & map.
miles away); Martha Louise Morrow Foxx (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Piney Woods School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Faith Hill (approx. 6.2 miles away); Mendenhall (approx. 7˝ miles away); Weathersby and Choctaw Heritage (approx. 10.3 miles away); Westville, Mississippi (approx. 11.3 miles away).
 
Categories. ExplorationSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement