Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Intersection of State and South Wall streets

Natchez Trails

 
 
Intersection of State and South Wall streets Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
1. Intersection of State and South Wall streets Marker
Inscription.
The domed Federal-style Adams County Courthouse appears in Audubon's 1822-1823 painted landscape of Natchez. Built in 1817, this courthouse is the oldest in Mississippi. It was remodeled in 1925. Actions at the courthouse impacted all of Natchez life. Its historic records include valuable information on marriages, deaths, property sales, land records, and court proceedings. Before the Civil War, the property auctioned by the sheriff in estate sales on the courthouse steps included enslaved people.

This 1866 photograph shows Union soldiers sitting on the steps of the Mercer House after the 1863 occupation of the city during the Civil War. Merchant and planter James C. Wilkins built the house about 1815. He served as a territorial representative (1798-1817) and a delegate at the state constitutional convention in 1817. The house later became the Natchez town home of wealthy cotton planter William Newton Mercer.

The Baptist Church built two church buildings on the southeast corner of State and South Wall, neither of which survives. The First Baptist Church, pictured above, replaced the antebellum Wall Street Baptist Church, which started a separate chapel for African Americans in 1854. This chapel evolved into the Rose Hill Baptist Church on Madison Street and is the oldest African American

Intersection of State and South Wall streets Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
2. Intersection of State and South Wall streets Marker
Baptist congregation in Mississippi.

Many of the wealthiest Natchez planters and slave owners also were attorneys with offices near the courthouse. Several of them maintained offices in a line of buildings across from the courthouse known as Lawyers Row which became run-down housing before its demolition in the mid-1900s.
 
Erected by City of Natchez.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
 
Location. 31° 33.589′ N, 91° 24.321′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is on State Street near South Wall Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 306 State Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Johnson House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The William Johnson House (a few steps from this marker); Intersection of State and South Canal streets (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Intersection of State and South Pearl streets (about 500 feet away); Intersection of Washington and South Pearl streets (about 500 feet away); Commercial Bank Building (about 500 feet away); The First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); In Gratitude (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
More about this marker. Located in front of Adams County Sheriffs Building.
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 81 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 1, 2018.
Paid Advertisement