Upper Sandusky in Wyandot County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fort Ferree - Overland Inn - Indian Spring
built by Gen. Harrison's Army, 1812.
1814 until 1846, on site Elks Lodge.
used by Indians 1730 to 1843.
Erected 1956 by Wyandot County Historical Society and B.P.O.E. No. 83.
Location. 40° 49.655′ N, 83° 16.659′ W. Marker is in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, in Wyandot County. Marker is on E. Wyandot Avenue (U.S. 30) just from 4th Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. This historical marker is located directly in front of the local Elk Lodge (B.P.O.E. No. 83). Marker is at or near this postal address: 340 E. Wyandot Ave., Upper Sandusky OH 43351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wyandot Indian Council House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Col. William Crawford (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Ferree (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wyandot County Courthouse & The Shawshank Redemption (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stephan Lumber Company / “The Shawshank Redemption” Woodshop The Lincoln Highway (approx. half a mile away); Departure of the Wyandot Indians (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wyandott Indian Mission (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Sandusky.
More about this marker. This marker was missing for some time, but it has been reported refurbished and reinstalled. We are awaiting fresh photographs.
There is an additional historical marker regarding Fort Ferree located approximately 1,000 feet to the west, in front of the Wyandot County Courthouse. It is also noteworthy that this marker is located along what was once the old Lincoln Highway.
Regarding Fort Ferree - Overland Inn - Indian Spring. With regards to this marker's subject material that is related to the topic of the War of 1812: As part of his preparations to recapture Detroit and invade Canada, General William Henry Harrison built a chain of forts northward, along both the Sandusky River Valley and the Sandusky-Scioto Trail, from what is now Upper Sandusky, Ohio (Fort Ferree), to what is now Tiffin, Ohio (Fort Ball), to what is now Old Fort, Ohio (Fort Seneca), all the
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,266 times since then and 42 times this year. Last updated on March 2, 2018, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 19, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 17, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the newly refurbished and reinstalled marker • Can you help?