White Haven in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Thank Josiah White
"Whitehaven is situated at the head of the Lehigh Navigation, and some eight or ten miles above the commencement of the coal formation. Its trade is therefore confined to the running of lumber; and this, judging from the number of sawmills in the place, and its vicinity, and the immense quantity of board piles that, for several miles above it, literally line the banks of the river, must be extensive."
1844 passenger on packet boat heading for Mauch Chunk
Josiah White serves as a fitting namesake for the town of White Haven. White's Lehigh Canal linked coal from the valleys to the lucrative markets and transformed this logging settlement into a thriving community in Luzerne County.
Nearly 100 homes, stores, hotels, boarding houses and even fine restaurants put mid-19th century White Haven boldly on the map. Five doctors tended the sick. Two lawyers managed the town's legal affairs. Two milliners offered White Haven women choice in fashion.
Railroads followed the canal and in the early 20th century carried tuberculosis patients to the private and public sanatoriums that took advantage of White Haven's fresh air.
Today, the river remains the focus of the town. White Haven is a popular access for boating and fishing on the Lehigh, designated
Erected by Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor.
Location. 41° 3.373′ N, 75° 46.29′ W. Marker is in White Haven, Pennsylvania, in Luzerne County. Marker can be reached from Main Street south of Berwick Street (Pennsylvania Route 940) when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located on the Lehigh Gorge Recreational Trail, near the south end of the White Haven trailhead and parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: Lehigh Gorge Trail, White Haven PA 18661, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Exploring The Corridor (here, next to this marker); White Haven (approx. 0.3 miles away); River Ran Black (approx. 1.4 miles away); Eckley Miners' Village (approx. 6.1 miles away); a different marker also named Eckley Minersí Village (approx. 6.1 miles away); Exploring the Corridor (approx. 6.1 miles away); a different marker also named Eckley Minersí Village (approx. 6.2 miles away); Laborerís Double Dwelling (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in White Haven.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this
Also see . . .
1. Josiah White.
Josiah White (1781–1850) was a key Pennsylvania industrialist who began early factory centered mill production in 1808 in water powered iron works near Philadelphia, along with his partner, Erskine Hazard. The pair were especially important after 1814 in helping make the American Industrial Revolution not only maintain, but accelerate its building momentum by agitating for infrastructure investment, sponsoring two key river navigations and the nation's first long railway. (Submitted on March 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. White Haven State School and Hospital.
White Haven Center was originally a Tuberculosis Sanatorium which was opened during the first week of August, 1901. Year by year new buildings were erected. From 1901 to 1941, the total number of patients treated at White Haven was 25,335, with an annual average of 617. On November 15, 1964, White Haven had a total of 528 patients. There are six residential buildings currently in use at the new site and each is set up to house up to 160 patients each. Many new departments have been added to White Haven since January 1, 1964, and has since changed it's name to White Haven Center, which it still is called today. (Submitted on March 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.