In 1884, due to overcrowding at the county jail, a grassy field on Pine Street was chosen to house a new Bucks County prison. Groundbreaking took place on April 21, 1884. Stone work from the former jail, located on Main and Court Street in Doylestown, was dismantled and used for the new construction. Plans drawn by architect Addison Hutton of Philadelphia called for an expanded prison facility that included a three-story warden's house using the popular late 19th-century Gothic style. Directly behind the warden's house was the guard house which was used as a control center for transferring prisoners into the jail. This building was connected to 58 cells; each one-person cell was eighteen feet long, eight feet wide and twelve feet high. The overall design concept was modeled after the Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia.
Erected by the James A. Michener Art Museum.
Location. 40° 18.497′ N, 75° 7.594′ W. Marker is in Doylestown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Touch for map. Marker is in the outdoor entrance corridor of the James A. Michener Art Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 138 South Pine Street, Doylestown PA 18901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 86 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 4, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.