Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In ante-bellum days, this hotel was a summer resort for planters attracted by the gay social activities of the town. In 1862, J. J. Andrews and his Federal raiders met here to begin the daring Locomotive Chase. Confederate wounded were fed and treated here after many battles, and civilian refugees from overrun Tennessee and Kentucky stayed here, moving south as Federals drew near. July 3, 1864, Sherman had his headquarters in the hotel, while directing pursuit of the Confederates retiring into Atlanta. After the War, numerous northern visitors wintered in Marietta, many stopping at the Kennesaw House.
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-109.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.163′ N, 84° 33.06′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Depot Street west of W Park Square, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is located near the northwest corner of the Kennesaw House, now the Marietta Museum of History. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Depot Street, Marietta GA 30060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking UDC and Kennesaw House (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Kennesaw House (here, next to this marker); 1916 Glover Machine Works Locomotive (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexander Stephens Clay (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cobb County (about 400 feet away); William Root House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clarke Library Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Edward Flournoy, Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Also see . . .
1. About the Kennesaw House. (Submitted on July 14, 2007.)
2. Stealing the General. 2007 book by Russell S. Bonds on Amazon.com. “The true story of the boldest adventure of the Civil War.” “On April 12, 1262—one year to the day after Confederate guns opened on Fort Sumter and started the Civil War—a tall, mysterious smuggler and self-appointed Union spy named James J. Andrews and nineteen infantry volunteers infiltrated North Georgia and stole a steam engine called the General. Racing northward at speeds approaching sixty miles an hour, cutting telegraph lines and destroying track along the way, Andrews planned to open East Tennessee to the Union army, cutting off men and matériel from the Confederate forces in Virginia. ... But the General’s young conductor, William A. Fuller, chased the stolen train first on foot, then by handcar, and finally aboard another engine...” (Submitted on August 8, 2007.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2007, by Michael Cruce of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,164 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on September 14, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on September 14, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on July 14, 2007, by Michael Cruce of Marietta, Georgia. 3. submitted on July 12, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 4, 5. submitted on September 14, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 6. submitted on July 14, 2007, by Michael Cruce of Marietta, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.