“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Trinity in Lawrence County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Boxwood Plantation

Boxwood Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, March 3, 2018
1. Boxwood Plantation Marker
(side 1)
This small dwelling is the last reminder of "Boxwood" plantation, the home of the Elliot family, and later of the Nevilles. Built-in 1854 of slave-made brick and occupied by the household servants it is one of the few brick plantation "quarters" surviving anywhere in Alabama. The main residence, razed in the 1950s for the widening of Alabama Highway 20, stood just to the northeast. Such brick quarters were unusual and suggest the higher status generally accorded to the household staff. its door to the outside is a typical slave-dwelling design found throughout the southern states and as far north as Maryland and Missouri. At Boxwood, log and frame cabins located further away to the south housed the enslaved workers who tilled the vast surrounding fields of cotton. Here, in the years before the Civil War, Samuel Elliott, Jr., and his wife, Elizabeth, developed a notable country estate including the boxwood gardens which gave the plantation its name. Their son, Dr. Jeremiah Pearsall Elliott, inherited Boxwood in 1870.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
This building then became a lodge for the young men of the family. In 1907, prominent Morgan County planter William Vinkley Neville purchased Boxwood. Neville descendants continued to own
Boxwood Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, March 3, 2018
2. Boxwood Plantation Marker
the property until the 1980s. Concealed by later additions the old slave quarters came to light in 2010 during the development of the Mallard Fox West Industrial Complex by the Industrial Board of Lawrence County. To foster interest in its significance, local volunteers Lisa and Jimmy Lentz stripped away the additions to expose the original two-room house underneath. It was then stabilized in consultation with the Alabama Historical Commission and with a small grant from the National Trust for Historic Preservation, In 2013, this rare vestige of early agricultural life in the Tennessee Valley was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The generosity of the Brown-Forman Corporation of Louisville, Ky., and Jack Daniels Cooperages made possible its exterior restoration in 2014-15.
Erected 2015 by the Courtland Historical Foundation and Courtland Historical Association.
Location. 34° 38.038′ N, 87° 6.815′ W. Marker is near Trinity, Alabama, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Cooperage Way (County Route 700) and Alabama Route 20, on the right when traveling south on Cooperage Way. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trinity AL 35673, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as
Boxwood Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, March 3, 2018
3. Boxwood Plantation Marker
the crow flies. Lest We Forget (approx. 6.7 miles away); Ingalls Shipyard (approx. 6.8 miles away); First Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Old Decatur Historic District/Historic Depot (approx. 7.4 miles away); “An Affair Most Important to Us” - The Federal Right, October 27-28, 1864 (approx. 7.4 miles away); Schaudies - Banks Cottage (approx. 7.4 miles away); Dancy-Polk House (circa 1829) (approx. 7.4 miles away); “A Hard Nut To Crack” - Federal Defenses at Decatur (approx. 7.4 miles away).
Also see . . .  Samuel Elliot Jr. Samuel Elliott Jr. was a Director of the Memphis and Charleston Railroad, but his first love was farming and in the 1850s he built Boxwood Plantation located just a few miles East of this cemetery. (Submitted on March 8, 2018, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 
Categories. African AmericansArchitectureWar, US Civil
Credits. This page was last revised on March 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2018, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 8, 2018, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement