Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Magnolia Park City Hall and Central Fire Station

 
 
Magnolia Park City Hall and Central Fire Station Marker image. Click for full size.
1. Magnolia Park City Hall and Central Fire Station Marker
Inscription. The city of Magnolia Park was incorporated on July 1, 1913, on property first developed by John Thomas Brady in 1890 as a large excursion park. For the municipality's first ten years, city offices were located in various temporary facilities, all situated along Harrisburg Boulevard.

By the early 1920s, officials decided to consolidate administrative offices for the mayor and city aldermen with the central fire station in a single building at the site of the city's original fire station, which was razed to make way for the new structure. Designed by the Houston architectural firm of McClelland & Fink and constructed by Magnolia Park contractor Charley Dahl, the combined city hall and fire station was dedicated on July 1, 1923, the tenth anniversary of Magnolia Park's incorporation.

On October 16, 1926, the city of Houston annexed the city of Magnolia Park. This facility then served the Houston Fire Department as Fire Station No. 20 and as a regional battalion headquarters. A Houston police department substation was also located here. Eventually, the Houston police department vacated the building and Fire Station no. 20 was relocated in 1973. The building has also served as a Harris County precinct voting location. The two-story dark red brick and cast stone building is divided by vertical piers into sections, with an entrance door leading to a stairway to second floor offices on the west, and the fire station and subsequent additions to the east. Later renovations included a brick calaboose appended to the building's east side. The parapet over the entry contains a scalloped pediment framing a cast stone panel inscribed "City Hall."

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2009
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected by Texas Historical Commission.
 
Location. 29° 44.22′ N, 95° 17.683′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Avenue F and 73rd Street, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7301 Avenue F, Houston TX 77011, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad (approx. 1 miles away); Old Harrisburg (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Old Harrisburg (approx. 1.8 miles away); Safety Follows Wisdom (approx. 2.6 miles away); Myers-Spalti Manufacturing Plant (approx. 3 miles away); Blue Triangle Branch, Y.W.C.A. Building (approx. 3.8 miles away); Annunciation Church (approx. 4 miles away); a different marker also named Annunciation Church (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 9, 2018, by Aldi of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on March 9, 2018, by Aldi of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. Photo of building. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement