Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Freeport in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Freeport

From Wilderness to Town

 
 
Freeport Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 10, 2018
1. Freeport Marker
Inscription. Prior to settlement, a native american presence evident in this vicinity. What is now Freeport and west of the Allegheny River, did not belong to Pennsylvania until the purchase of 1784. The "Depreciation Lands", surveyed out of this purchase were sold to raise money for Pennsylvania's Revolutionary War Veterans.

William and David Todd took patents September 16, 1786 for two tracts located in Elders 5th District: Lot 70 (Union); 348 and 1/2 acres, and Lot 71 (Friendship); 302 acres. The Todds obtained full ownership of both lots and the island along the Allegheny (Todds Island) in 1796.

The town of Freeport was laid out at this time. Containing 135 lots (66 by 159 feet) facing Water Street (now Riverside Drive), Market Street and Mulberry Alley. These streets intersected First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Streets.

The town became a brisk, commercial center over the next three decades because of the river and Pennsylvania Canal. Freeport was incorporated into a borough, out of Buffalo Township, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania on April 8, 1833.
 
Erected by Community of Freeport.
 
Location. 40° 40.296′ N, 79° 41.063′ W. Marker is in Freeport, Pennsylvania, in Armstrong County
Freeport Marker Indenture image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 10, 2018
2. Freeport Marker Indenture
. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Riverside Drive and 5th Street. Touch for map. Located near the gazebo in the river side park. Marker is in this post office area: Freeport PA 16229, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Freeport Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Burtner House (approx. 3.7 miles away); Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 5.4 miles away); Orr's Block House (approx. 6.3 miles away); Chartier's Old Town (approx. 6.3 miles away); Fannie Sellins (approx. 7.3 miles away); Vandergrift (approx. 7.8 miles away); St Gertrude Roman Catholic Church (approx. 8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Freeport Borough - A Jewel along the Allegheny. (Submitted on March 10, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar, US RevolutionaryWaterways & Vessels
 
Freeport Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 10, 2018
3. Freeport Marker
Top Right Photo
Sketch of a map in an 1805 book entitled: "Journal of a Tour in the Territory Northwest of the Allegheny Mountains made in the spring of the year 1803" by Thaddeus Mason Harris.
Freeport Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 10, 2018
4. Freeport Marker
Lower Right Photo
Based on a survey map of Lot No 70 and 71, 5th District (J. Elder) in the Depreciation Lands.
Pennsylvania State Archives
Freeport Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 10, 2018
5. Freeport Marker
Lower Middle Photo
Freeport Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 10, 2018
6. Freeport Marker
Marker is to the right of the gazebo
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 10, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement