Mystic in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
William Haynes House
This house was built in the early 1850s by William Haynes (1820-1905), a ship carpenter who often worked at the George Greenman & Co. Shipyard. The small room on the left side is a later addition, and the bay window was added in the mid-1900s when the building was used as a gift shop.
This section of Mystic was named Greenmanville after the three brothers who established their shipyard here in 1837. It was an industrial village from the 1840s to the 1890s. In addition to the shipyard, the brothers built a textile mill, rented houses to workers, managed nearby farms, and operated a store. The work schedule reflected the Greenmans' Seventh Day Baptist faith, with the Sabbath observed on Saturday. The William Haynes House is used as an office building by Mystic Seaport.
Erected by Mystic Seaport Museum.
Location. 41° 21.666′ N, 71° 57.82′ W. Marker is in Mystic, Connecticut, in New London County. Marker is on Greenmanville Avenue (Connecticut Route 27) north of Bruggeman Place, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located directly in front of the William Haynes house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 67 Greenmanville Avenue, Mystic CT 06355, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Constantine House (a few steps from this marker); Langworthy House (within shouting distance of this marker); Brustolon House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewis House (within shouting distance of this marker); George Greenman House (within shouting distance of this marker); Clark Greenman House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harbor Tugboat Kingston II (about 400 feet away); Eastern-Rig Dragger Roann (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mystic.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Mystic, Connecticut Historic Houses
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.