Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dorchester County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Gethsemane Methodist Protestant Church

 
 
Gethsemane Methodist Protestant Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 5, 2018
1. Gethsemane Methodist Protestant Church Marker
Inscription. Founded 1840 at “Tobacco Stick” Gethsemane was first pastored by Dr. E.F. Ewell in a country Schoolhouse, then in a converted barn. The final building was purchased in 1860, rebuilt in 1892 and razed in 1986.
 
Location. 38° 30.464′ N, 76° 13.268′ W. Marker is in Madison, Maryland, in Dorchester County. Marker is on Old Madison Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1205 Old Madison Road, Madison MD 21648, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Madison-Preparing for Freedom (approx. 0.2 miles away); Malone's Church-Ties that Bind (approx. 1.1 miles away); Trinity P.E. Church (approx. 3 miles away); Walk the Old Trinity Heritage Trail (approx. 3 miles away); Anna Ella Carroll (approx. 3 miles away); New Revived Church-Family & Faith Connections (approx. 3.7 miles away); Finding Freedom (approx. 3.7 miles away); Treaty Oak (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Gethsemane Methodist Protestant Church.


“The first Methodist Protestant Church of Madison was organized in the school house in 1840 by Dr. D. F. Ewell and some members
Gethsemane Methodist Protestant Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 5, 2018
2. Gethsemane Methodist Protestant Church Marker
who withdrew from the Methodist Episcopal Church. Next they used a barn belonging to William R. Tall that had once been the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1843 Cambridge Circuit was organized, and Tobacco Stick, Church Creek, and Lakesville formed part of the new charge. In 1860, during the pastorate of Brother W. H. Lane, the church building that had been erected at Church Creek many years before was moved to Madison and rebuilt on a more desirable site. In 1882 it became a part of the St. Paul's Church of Cambridge. In the summer of 1892 the new building was finished. In 1941 the Quarter Conference changed the name from Madison to Gethsemane.” — National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, Statement of Significance
 
Also see . . .  Madison Methodist Protestant Church. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, 1975. (Submitted on March 14, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionNotable Buildings
 
Gethsemane Methodist Protestant Church image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 5, 2018
3. Gethsemane Methodist Protestant Church
Close-up of image on marker
Madison Methodist Protestant Church image. Click for full size.
By Michael Bourne
4. Madison Methodist Protestant Church
from the National Register Form
Madison Methodist Protestant Church image. Click for full size.
By Michael Bourne
5. Madison Methodist Protestant Church
from the National Register Form
Gethsemane Methodist Protestant Church Graveyard image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 5, 2018
6. Gethsemane Methodist Protestant Church Graveyard
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 14, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement