Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taylors Island in Dorchester County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Chapel of Ease

 
 
Chapel of Ease Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 5, 2018
1. Chapel of Ease Marker
Inscription. This building was constructed sometime between 1707 and 1720 as a Chapel of Ease for members of Dorchester Parish who lived too far away from their parish church; Old Trinity Episcopal Church in Church Creek, MD, to conveniently attend services. This was the first church to be built on Taylors Island and was originally located at the site now occupied by the Taylors Island Volunteer Fire Company. After the building of Grace Episcopal Church in 1873, the chapel was no longer used as a place of worship and served successively as a school, blacksmith shop, voting place, community hall and farm storage building. In 1951 it was purchased by the Grace Foundation of Taylors Island for $800, moved to its present site and restored. The fireplace, which was not part of the original building, contains more than 5,000 bricks from old homes on Taylors Island, and the flooring was restored using wood from old buildings on Taylors Island. The balcony is original, reportedly built of materials salvaged from a ship.
 
Location. 38° 28.256′ N, 76° 18.514′ W. Marker is in Taylors Island, Maryland, in Dorchester County. Marker can be reached from Hooper Neck Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4401 Hooper Neck Road, Taylors Island MD 21669, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Chapel of Ease Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 5, 2018
2. Chapel of Ease Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Schoolhouse (a few steps from this marker); Grace Episcopal Church (a few steps from this marker); First School House (within shouting distance of this marker); Chapel of Ease Old Trinity Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Trapped (approx. mile away); The Becky Phipps (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battle of the Ice Mound (approx. 0.8 miles away); Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylors Island.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionNotable Buildings
 
Chapel of Ease image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 5, 2018
3. Chapel of Ease
Chapel of Ease<br>Old Trinity Episcopal Church<br>Circa 1707 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 28, 2011
4. Chapel of Ease
Old Trinity Episcopal Church
Circa 1707
The nearby Maryland Historical Society marker is entitled "Chapel of Ease" but its text discusses the western end of the Transpeninsular Line.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 14, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement