San Andreas in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Heart of the Southern Mines
Erected 1930 by Calaveras County Chamber of Commerce, October 26, 1930. (Marker Number 252.)
Location. 38° 11.769′ N, 120° 40.855′ W. Marker is in San Andreas, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is at the intersection of St. Charles Street (State Highway 49) and Main Street, on the right when traveling north on St. Charles Street. Touch for map. Marker is located on the Northeast Corner. Marker is in this post office area: San Andreas CA 95249, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Restaurant in Town (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Red Barn (approx. 0.9 miles away); Calaveras County Hospital Cemetery Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); Chili Gulch (approx. 1.7 miles away); Double Springs (approx. 3.4 miles away); Attempted Stage Robbery (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Costa Store (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Andreas.
Regarding San Andreas. This site is a California Registered Historical Landmark (No.252)
San Andreas was settled by Mexican Gold Miners in 1848. By 1850 over 1000 tents dotted the hillsides. The first church, built in 1852 was a canvas structure with a simple cross over the door designating it a church of the Roman Catholic faith. It was named for St. Andrew (San Andreas) and the name of the town was taken from this church.
In August 1852 the large San Andreas Nugget was found in a claim just north of where the town is located and sold to the Wells Fargo company for $12,000. In 1859 over $500,000 in gold dust was shipped. The channels were producing gold, although lack of water hampered the efforts of the miners until the miner's ditches were completed.
Two infamous names from the Gold Rush often
In 1866, the County Seat was moved to San Andreas from Mokelumne Hill and in 1869, a county hospital was moved to the Gold Hill house.
Source: Calaveras County Visitors Bureau
Also see . . .
1. Sierra Foothills Magazine - San Andreas. (Submitted on September 15, 2008.)
2. Ghost Towns - San Andreas. (Submitted on September 15, 2008.)
3. Black Bart - California’s Infamous Stage Robber. (Submitted on October 11, 2008.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 3,255 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 4, 5. submitted on April 22, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 9. submitted on October 11, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.