Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taylors Island in Dorchester County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Schoolhouse

 
 
Old Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 5, 2018
1. Old Schoolhouse Marker
Inscription. This building is believed to be the first schoolhouse in Dorchester County. Built in 1785, prior to the establishment of a public school system, it was originally located on the north end of Taylors Island on the road to James Island. It was constructed with hand-hewn timbers, hand-made nails and wooden pegs. It could seat twelve pupils, sitting on benches around a stove that would have been in the middle of the room. There was a stove pipe hole in each wall so the pipe could be shifted to suit the prevailing wind. The building was purchased in 1855 for $90 by Travers Spicer of “Mulberry Grove” and used as a smokehouse. In 1959 is was donated to the Grace Foundation of Taylors Island by the heir of James K. Spicer and moved to its current location. In 1984 the Grace foundation restored it to its present condition.
 
Location. 38° 28.254′ N, 76° 18.52′ W. Marker is in Taylors Island, Maryland, in Dorchester County. Marker can be reached from Hooper Neck Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4401 Hooper Neck Road, Taylors Island MD 21669, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chapel of Ease (a few steps from this marker); Grace Episcopal Church (a few steps from
Old Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 5, 2018
2. Old Schoolhouse Marker
this marker); First School House (a few steps from this marker); Chapel of Ease Old Trinity Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Trapped (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Becky Phipps (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battle of the Ice Mound (approx. 0.8 miles away); Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylors Island.
 
Categories. Education
 
This Building<br>Was the First School House<br>in Dorchester County image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 5, 2018
3. This Building
Was the First School House
in Dorchester County
and was built and used
on Taylors Island

Given to Grace Foundation by
The Mulberry Grove Spicers
Restored by Grace Foundation
1959
Plaque on Old Schoolhouse door.
Old Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 28, 2011
4. Old Schoolhouse
This marker was not present in 2011.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 15, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the bookís title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.