Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
A Winter City
Under the original landscape plan, 50 plots of land were laid out around the Clubhouse in a very community-oriented fashion. However, not all of the members chose to build their own cottages on these plots.
Over the years a thriving community of cottages and service buildings developed in the 240 acres we now know as the Historic Landmark District. At the peak of the Club's activity in the 1920s nearly 120 buildings, mostly service-oriented, were scattered around the area within the fence you see at the east end of Pier Road.
As the Club's membership increased, so did the need for additional buildings. The map you see here was compiled in the 1960s and represents nearly all of the buildings that existed during the Club Era.
Built around 1900, the kitchen was separate and located to the rear of the dining hall.
Albert "Bill" Law, Club Foreman from the 1910s - 1930s rang the Farm Bell every day at noon calling in all the laborers to the Dining Hall for their midday meal. The Farm Bell was located on the east side of the Bookkeeper's Cottage.
Constructed in 1905, this building used as housing for employees of Club members.
Panel funded by a donation from the Friends of Historic Jekyll
Erected by Jekyll Island Museum.
Location. 31° 3.524′ N, 81° 25.172′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Pier Road east of Hopkins Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located directly in front of the former Chauffeur's dorm building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 Pier Road, Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Childhood in an Island Paradise (a few steps from this marker); The Skeet House (within shouting distance of this marker); Old World Charm (within shouting distance of this marker); Morgan Tennis Court (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Men of Means (about 600 feet away); Fairbank Cottage Site (about 700 feet away); The Infirmary / Furness Cottage (about 700 feet away); The Clubhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Regarding A Winter City. The former Chauffeur's Dorm (1905) is part of the Jekyll Island Historic District. The building is now in use as a gift shop.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Jekyll Island Historic District
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.