College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1910, civilian aviator and inventor Rex Smith came to the airfield. He started the Rex Smith Aeroplane Company and built a hangar on the field.
In 1911, they were joined by the National Aeroplane Company (NACO), which was formed to give instruction in Wright, Curtiss, and Bleriot machines and to provide repair. NACO was the sole agent for the Curtiss Aeroplanes in the Washington area.
. In 1912, two other civilian aviation companies, the Christmas Aeroplane Company and the Washington Aeroplane Company (WAC), established themselves at the field. The WAC, sponsored by Emile Berliner, manufactured the well-known Columbia Bi-Plane.
[Caption on image at top of the marker:]
Location. 38° 58.857′ N, 76° 55.605′ W. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from Corporal Frank Scott Drive near Litton Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1909 Corporal Frank Scott Drive, College Park MD 20740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Army Aviation School (a few steps from this marker); Airmail (within shouting Taliaferro House (approx. 0.2 miles away); College Park Airport: “Oldest Continually Operated in the World” (approx. 0.2 miles away); College Park Airport (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cory House (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of College Park (approx. ¼ mile away); McDonnell House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Park.
Categories. • Air & Space • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 74 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.