College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
City of College Park
The Taliaferro House was built circa 1893. This photograph depicts the house in 1932. It was clad with asbestos shingles in the 1960's. Architectural features of this simplified Queen-Anne style house include a wraparound porch, canted oriel window, and decorative bracketing. It was the home of Warner Taliaferro, professor of agronomy at the Maryland Agricultural College, and his wife Emily, daughter of John Oliver Johnson who developed the 1889 Johnson and Curriden's subdivision of College Park. It is still the home of Johnson's descendants.
John Oliver Johnson (pictured above was half of the duo Johnson & Curriden that developed the College Park subdivision in 1889. This neighborhood is now known as Old Town College Park.
The original subdivision development encompassed 125 acres. Most of its streets were named for eastern colleges and universities that were prominent at the time.
Erected by Anacostia Trails Heritage Area.
Location. 38° 58.783′ N, 76° 55.746′ W. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Columbia Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: College Park MD 20740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cory House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); McDonnell House (about 500 feet away); Old Parish House (about 600 feet away); City of College Park (about 600 feet away); Army Aviation School (about 800 feet away); General Aviation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Airmail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harrison Store/Trolley Stop Sweet Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Park.
Categories. • Agriculture • Architecture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 80 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.