Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Evolution of Elegance
The Executive Committee hired architect Charles Alexander to design the Clubhouse. He designed the building in a Queen Anne style that complemented the natural beauty of the island and emphasized the rustic simplicity that the Jekyll Island Club embraced. It was completed for (what was considered) the modest price of $45,000.
At the heart of any Luxury resort or vacation retreat is sumptuous lodging. When the Club incorporated in 1885, they knew that the success of the Club depended on a splendid but simply elegant Clubhouse.
The Dubignon farmhouse would do for the Executive Committee's assessment of the island, but would never be adequate for the 53 members, their families, and guests.
The Jekyll Island Clubhouse was the final project for Chicago architect Charles Alexander. It was declared "a model of comfort and elegance." On April 14, 1889, the New York Times reported, "All have expressed themselves delighted with the island and clubhouse, and well they may, for it has not its equal North or South."
There is no attempt at display or fashion. Its comfortable clubhouse, charming winter climate, lovely grounds, and fine drives render it a most enjoyable winter home for the members and their families."
—NY Times, Sept 9,1889
Did you know? In November
Erected by Jekyll Island Museum.
Location. 31° 3.516′ N, 81° 25.327′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Pier Road and Riverview Drive, on the right when traveling west on Pier Road. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds directly in front of the Jekyll Island Clubhouse, at the southwest corner of the bowling green. Marker is at or near this postal address: 371 Riverview Drive, Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Evolution of Elegance (within shouting distance of this marker); Fairbank Cottage Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Men of Means (within shouting distance of this marker); First Transcontinental Call (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jekyll Island Club Wharf (about 300 feet away); Arriving on This Island (about 400 feet away); Morgan Tennis Court (about 500 feet away); Up In Smoke (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Regarding The Clubhouse. The Jekyll Island Clubhouse is the centerpiece of the Jekyll Island Historic District.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Jekyll Island Historic District
Also see . . .
1. Jekyll Island Club History. The Island was purchased by the newly formed Jekyll Island Club which Munsey’s Magazine called, “the richest, the most exclusive, the most inaccessible club in the world.” The Club officially opened its doors in January 1888, quickly becoming a retreat for families that represented one sixth of the world's wealth. (Submitted on March 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Jekyll Island duck hunt that created the Federal Reserve. In the fall of 1907 the United States was in a recession, it's banking system lacked a lender of last resort mechanism, and an intricate network of directorships, loans, and collateral bonded the fate of many financial institutions together. The 1910 "duck hunt" on Jekyll Island included Senator Nelson Aldrich, his personal secretary Arthur Shelton, former Harvard University professor of economics Dr. A. Piatt Andrew, J.P. Morgan & Co. partner Henry P. Davison, National City Bank president Frank A. Vanderlip and Kuhn, Loeb, and Co. partner Paul M. Warburg. From the start the group proceeded covertly. The conference's solution to America's banking problems called for the creation of a central bank. Although Congress did not pass the reform bill submitted by (Submitted on March 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Jekyll Island History.
Following the defeat of Melvin E. Thompson in the Georgia Governor's election of 1948, Jekyll Island was in a state of limbo. The new Governor Herman Talmadge was hesitant about the State of Georgia owning an island and decided in February of 1949 to appoint a committee to determine the long-term fate of Jekyll as well as lease the island to someone in the interim period. In February of 1950, the second year of the Whitakers' island lease, Gov. Talmadge formed the Jekyll Island State Park Authority. Through a legislative act the Authority was sanctioned to manage and carefully develop the island into a resort. (Submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. The Meeting at Jekyll Island.
A member of the exclusive Jekyll Island Club, most likely J.P. Morgan, arranged for the group to use the club’s facilities. Founded in 1886, the club’s membership boasted elites such as Morgan, Marshall Field, and William Kissam Vanderbilt I, whose mansion-sized “cottages” dotted the island. Munsey’s Magazine described it in 1904 as “the richest, the most exclusive, (Submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 119 times since then. Last updated on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8, 9. submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.