Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
All Work and No Play
With only drive and ambition, Frank Henry Goodyear rose from a $35-per-month bookkeeper to the head of a vast lumber, coal, iron, and railroad empire.
Far from viewing Jekyll Island as a place to escape the stresses of business, Goodyear took the opportunity during afternoon drinks of scotch and soda at the Clubhouse to discuss business with "an empire builder like James J. Hill" and other financiers such as J.P. Morgan.
Goodyear's unceasing toil soon caught up with him, and in 1887 he gave his brother Charles temporary control of his business, allowing himself a well-deserved break in Europe to recuperate from a nervous breakdown. Refusing to be held back, Goodyear was once again at the helm of his empire six months later.
Goodyear and his wife Josephine only enjoyed their Italianate cottage on Jekyll Island together for one season before he died in 1907 at the age of 58, "worn out with ceaseless activity and worry."
Frank Goodyear began his career with $100, a keen business mind and an all-consuming drive to prosper. He left his heirs a $10,000,000 estate.
Carrere & Hastings
Already building homes for the world of fashionable society, architects Carrere & Hastings came to Jekyll Island in 1903 design a winter retreat for Frank and Josephine
Thomas Hastings and John Carrere met while studying in Paris, and continued their collaboration as draftsmen for McKim, Mead, and White, the most prominent architects of the 19th century. After striking out their own, the pair designed buildings in Florida and New York before winning their most famous commission, the New York Public Library, in 1897.
Having designed a home for the Goodyear family in Buffalo, NY, Carrere & Hastings were the natural choice for architects of the Goodyears' Jekyll Island cottage.
Erected by Jekyll Island Museum.
Location. 31° 3.403′ N, 81° 25.329′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Riverview Drive 0.2 miles north of Stable Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located west of Goodyear Cottage. Marker is at or near this postal address: 321 Riverview Drive, Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Transcontinental Call (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Morgan Tennis Court (about 600 feet away); Jekyll Island Club Wharf (about 700 feet away); M.E. Thompson and the Purchase of Jekyll Island The Clubhouse (about 700 feet away); The Infirmary / Furness Cottage (about 700 feet away); Fairbank Cottage Site (about 700 feet away); Men of Means (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Regarding All Work and No Play. Goodyear Cottage is part of the Jekyll Island Historic District. The house was restored in 1974 and is now used as a center for the creative arts, housing the Jekyll Island Arts Association and the Jekyll Island Pottery Guild.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Jekyll Island Historic District
Also see . . .
1. Goodyear Cottage. (This link includes various pictures of the cottage.) The home, completed in 1906, included features like engaged columns, sidelights for the doorway, and casement windows. Italian style, including the use of tile, was used in the design of the house. Frank Henry Goodyear of Buffalo, New York owned the home but died in 1907, a year after it was completed, however his family used it for years to come (Submitted on March 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Goodyear Cottage. Architects John Carrere and Thomas Hastings of New York City designed this white stucco winter home, typical of Mediterranean Revival architecture. The cottage was built in 1906 for the lumber baron, Frank Henry Goodyear of Buffalo, New York. There are seven rooms and a half-bath on the first floor and five bedrooms and three baths on the second floor. The third floor originally contained a servantís room, a bath, and a storage area. (Submitted on March 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 88 times since then. Last updated on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on March 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.