Berwyn Heights in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Town of Berwyn Heights
Anacostia Trails Heritage Area
Established in 1888 as a commuter suburb on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, this approximately 1-square mile, residential community was first named Charlton Heights and became Berwyn Heights when incorporated in 1896.
Today's Greenbelt Road sits on top of the old Branchville Road, which connected the Baltimore-Washington Turnpike (Route 1) and the Branchville stop of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (now CSX) with the properties of the Walker family who used to own the land around Greenbelt. Jonathan T. Walker and his son James owned the land just south of Branchville Road before they sold it to the developers of Charlton Heights. The property was called Ore Bank Farm because of a mine that produced, at its peak, 50 tons of iron ore per week. The iron was sent by rail to Baltimore furnaces for smelting.
Former mines, mills and farms have given way to retail businesses, government agencies and the University of Maryland as principal employers of the people who live here. Yet, many tradesmen and small businesses continue to make Berwyn Heights their home.
1 Town Hall
Comprises municipal building housing the Town government, Town Museum, and a 2-story former fire house that
2 Berwyn Heights Elementary School & Community Center
Public elementary school with gymnasium surrounded by recreational facilities. The school court yard showcases an educational garden maintained by students and the PTA. Former site of the St. Ann's Infant Asylum.
3 Pop's Park
Playground with picnic area.
4 Sports Park
Site of Boys & Girls Club's ball fields and comfort station with rest rooms.
5 Indian Creek Park
Native American-themed playground and ball fields adjacent to Indian Creek Trail.
6 Historic Walking Tour (red line)
Showcases Victorian pattern book houses along Ruatan Street, Berwyn Road, and other streets. Walking tour brochure available at Historical Committee website (berwynehightshistory.wordpress.com), Town Museum and at Indian Creek Trailhead.
[Back of sign:]
Anacostia Trails Heritage Area
1 National Wildlife Visitor Center
(serving ATHA North)
10901 Scarlett Tanager Loop, Laurel, MD
2 Historic Greenbelt & Greenbelt Museum
(Serving Greenbelt, Berwyn Heights & College Park)
15 Crescent Road,
Mon-Sat 9a - 10p, Sun 9a - 7p
3 College Park Aviation Museum
(Serving College Park, Riverdale Park & University Park)
1985 Corporal Frank Scott Drive, College Park, MD
4 ATHA Heritage Center
(Information Center & General Offices)
4318 Gallatin Street, Hyattsville, MD
Call for hours
5 Bladensburg Waterfront Park (War of 1812 Information
(Serving Bladensburg, Colmar Manor, Cottage City, & Edmonston)
4601 Annapolis Road, Bladensburg, MD
Daily 9a-5p, Park open sunrise to sunset
6 Joe's Movement Emporium (Arts District)
(Serving Mount Ranier, Brentwood, North Brentwood & Hyattsville)
3309 Bunker Hill Road, Mount Ranier, MD
Mon-Sat 10a-9p, Sun 10a-6p
Erected by Maryland Heritage Areas Authority.
Location. 38° 59.592′ N, 76° 55.254′ W. Marker is in Berwyn Heights, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on 55th Avenue south of Berwyn Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. On the parking lot for Lake Artemesia Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8326 55th Avenue, College Park MD 20740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to the Luther Goldman Birding Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Origins of Lake Artemesia (approx. ¼ mile away); Dervey Augusta Lomax (approx. ¼ mile away); Washington, Spa Spring & Gretta Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lakeland at the Beginning (approx. 0.6 miles away); Family, Church and Community in Lakeland (approx. 0.6 miles away); College Park War Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Charlton Avenue (approx. 0.7 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 17, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.