Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Founding of Florence
Lauderdale County was created b the Territorial Legislature in February 1818. On March 12, 1818, recognized as the Founding Day for Florence, Alabama the Articles of Association was signed by the seven trustees of the newly~organized Cypress Land Company. It was organized for the purpose of establishing a new town that would become the county seat of Lauderdale County. This town was to be at the foot of Muscle Shoals and the head of navigation on the Tennessee River. The signing took place in the Huntsville office of the federal surveyor for North Alabama, General John Coffee. The seven trustee were: Thomas Bibb, John Childress, John Coffee, James Jackson, John McKinley, Danny Morris and Leroy Pope. Coffee, leader of the trustees and principal developer of the new town while all seven trustees became known as the Founding Fathers of Florence. The first action of the new company was the purchase of 5,515.77 acres of land for $85,235.24, or $15.45 per acre, at the land sale in Huntsville. To raise the down payment of $21,308.81, twenty-five percent of the purchase price, the trustees sold 408 shares of stock at $52.23 per share. This large tract of land provided for all possible sites for a new town between Campbell’s Ferry, near present-day Wilson Dam, to Cypress Creek. At that time, Florence was an isolated hilltop
Erected 2018 by The Florence Bicentennial Committee.
Location. 34° 48.001′ N, 87° 40.559′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of West Tennessee Street and South Court Street, on the right when traveling east on West Tennessee Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Downtown Florence Historic District (a few steps from this marker); Wheeler Rifles (within shouting distance of this marker); Dred Scott (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Southall Drugs (about 400 feet away); City of Florence (about 500 feet away); Lauderdale County (about 700 feet away); Justice John McKinley Federal Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 18, 2018, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 18, 2018, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.