Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brunson in Hampton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Town Of Brunson

 
 
The Town Of Brunson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, January 2008
1. The Town Of Brunson Marker
Inscription. On November 7, 1872, a post office was established in this community, named for William E. Brunson, Sr., who donated the site. Brunson was chartered in 1874. The Town Hall, built in 1906, originally stood on stilts and covered the town's artesian well. Brunson's school system traces its orgin to the 1800s to Pineville Academy and Brunson Graded & Military School.
 
Erected 1971 by Brunson Civic Council. (Marker Number 25-2.)
 
Location. 32° 55.651′ N, 81° 11.475′ W. Marker is in Brunson, South Carolina, in Hampton County. Marker is on U.S. 278, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Brunson's Famous Town Hall Ripley's "Believe It or Not" cited it as the only Town Hall on stilts in the world. It stands tall and proud as a landmark of this once "largest town" on the Charleston & Western Railroad. The main reason for the stilts was to provide shade and accessibility for an artesian well beneath the building. (Hampton County SC Org.). Marker is at or near this postal address: 816 N Railroad Ave, Brunson SC 29911, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fairfax (approx. 3.4 miles away); Prince Williams Baptist Church
Model of the The Town Hall image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 2008
2. Model of the The Town Hall
(approx. 3.5 miles away); Allendale County War Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); Bethlehem Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Plywoods - Plastics Corporation / Westinghouse Micarta Division (approx. 5.7 miles away); Harmony Baptist Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); American Legion Hut (approx. 5.7 miles away); World War II POW Camp (approx. 5.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  The coming of the railroad established quite a few towns in Hampton County. (Submitted on March 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Old Town Hall, relocated in 1959 to its present location image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 2008
3. Old Town Hall, relocated in 1959 to its present location
It is used as a museum. Next to it sits a model of the town hall, on stilts.
The current Brunson post office image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, January 2008
4. The current Brunson post office
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 997 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on September 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement